Editing budgets

Rebecca Miller

11 Apr, 2017 07:12 PM

Hi, Once I've got the budget screen open, I can't edit the budget in prior periods. How do I do this? Thanks!

Also, is there a way to run the budget at the top category level, with costs/income in subcategories being applied against that budget? E.g. if I had Food costs as a category, within which I had: groceries as a subcategory and lunch as another subcategory, could I set up a budget of 200 for the whole category food, but have costs allocated to groceries and lunch matched against that budget? Thank you!

1. 1 Posted by Henry on 14 Apr, 2017 07:44 AM

Hi Rebecca,

Have you created a newer style budget, or a mixed interval budget?

If you are using a newer budget, select this in the sidebar, then you can edit the amounts by selecting the second '0', entering the correct amount and pressing enter to register the change.

Using the mixed interval budgets, select the budget in the sidebar, then there will be an 'Edit' button at the top right of the register, which will open the 'Edit Budget' window, and you can make changes from there.

For the subcategories you can also use tags, more on that here.

Please let me know if this was helpful.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Janet on 02 May, 2017 04:39 PM

Hello Henry,

I am also trying to create & edit a budget. At present, it seems that I will need to set a budget in each interval (monthly) to do so, which seems non-intuitive. I have not been able to select an automatic budget on my Macbook using the drop-down menu promised in the guidelines; when I control-click (right click) on the month, I only get a guide that moves me month to month, not three ways to import a budget.

Am I correct in understanding that, once imported, I can change the budget numbers?

Thanks for your help!

Janet

3. 3 Posted by Henry on 02 May, 2017 07:20 PM

Hi Janet,

Have you tried using 'mixed intervals' in the budgeting options, as it allows you to edit it more specifically?

And yes you are correct with the understanding that the budget can be edited after the import.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

4. 4 Posted by Janet Holmes on 02 May, 2017 08:23 PM

I haven't yet. I'd prefer to import the budget, but can't get the menu that
    allows it on my Mac. I'm using version 2015.7 if that makes a difference.

5. 5 Posted by Janet on 02 May, 2017 10:37 PM

Went ahead and set up the budget in Mixed Intervals.The interface isn't as useful, which is I suppose why it was changed . . .

6. 6 Posted by Henry on 03 May, 2017 09:31 AM

Hi Janet,

Here is the guide for using 'mixed interval' budgets.

The whole page is actually about setting up budgets, but I recommend looking at the 'mixed interval' part.

Henry
    Infinite Kind Support

7. Henry closed this discussion on 28 May, 2017 01:12 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac