Scheduled Reminder Updates

Ron B.

07 Sep, 2017 12:59 PM

I like the fact that I can schedule any number of instances to auto-log into the ledger for an arbitrary number of days into the future, but I notice that if I go in and change a dollar value, or a date for one of those scheduled reminders, it does not update any instances that are already logged to the ledger. It would be great if Moneydance would prompt when you update one of these, if it should update any future reminders that are already in the ledger, but still indicating the old values rather than your current updates.

For example, I have a monthly reminder set for the 1st of each month for $100. I set it to log those to the ledger automatically for 100 days in advance, and today is the 5th, so I have 3 future entries in the ledger for the following 3 months, for $100 on the 1st of Oct, Nov, and Dec.

I then go in and update the reminder to change the date to the 3rd. It would be great if it would find those 3 instances it had already created (maybe by some internal unique ID for that reminder?), and offer to change the date for those 3 instances to Oct. 3rd, Nov. 3rd, and Dec 3rd.

1. 1 Posted by Kevin Stembridg... on 09 Sep, 2017 09:26 PM

Hi Ron,

Out of interest, why do you auto-commit these transactions to your account register so far in advance.

Not a criticism at all, just trying to get a better understanding of what people want the software to be able to do for them.

Regards,
    Kevin

2. 2 Posted by Ron Blair on 09 Sep, 2017 09:31 PM

I do this so that I can budget items easily. For example, I can quickly, at a glance, just scroll through the ledger to get an idea of what my balances will be for 2 or even 3 months in advance. It’s one of the features that quicken had, and the primary reason I chose Moneydance. Others had ‘budget’ views but they were pretty inflexible and didn’t work well with real world use.

For example, I regularly buy breakfast every morning, and go to the movies every weekend, and I can auto-schedule these for months in advance since they are just ‘regular’ purchases the I normally make. In this way, I can either label them as a “Placeholder - ItemName”, or if they are a regular purchase or expenditure, I just label them as is. i’ve got my purchases schedule out months in advance using this method and it works very well and is actually very well tuned and accurate at this point.

3. System closed this discussion on 09 Dec, 2017 09:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac