Budgeting loan payments differ in function in Windows vs Mac distributions

mhoggie

24 Aug, 2019 05:52 PM

Capturing loan payments in the MD budgeting tool appears to be a mixed issue between Windows and Mac distributions.
Prior to Windows build 1667 you could budget a loan payment using the mixed interval budget. But starting with Windows build 1667 that feature no longer works. It was explained that MD no longer allows budgeting loan payments to a loan built in MD or any transfer from one account to another because of some issue related to total net worth. But I recently became aware from another user that the mixed interval loan payment budget tracking still functions on the current MD Mac distribution.

Can anyone explain ?

Thanks, Mike

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Sean Reilly on 26 Aug, 2019 11:00 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, nothing has changed in the mixed interval budgeting relating to loan accounts. That should still be able to track loan payments.

Thanks,
    Sean

--
    Sean Reilly
    Developer, The Infinite Kind
    https://infinitekind.com

2. 2 Posted by mhoggie on 27 Aug, 2019 02:18 AM

Sean,

I took another look at the current mixed interval budget on windows build 1888 and the budgeting tool is picking up the payments to credit cards. Not sure when that was fixed for windows, but after many months I just started using a work around method. So it seems to work now. Thanks. You can't track account to account activity on the new style budget because the accounts are not listed to select. On the loan payments for the new style, you can't pick up the principle paid probably because you can't select the account, but the interest does show up. On the old style budget, you can select the loan account and you do get the principle amount, but you have to deal with the loan interest separately which does not allow you to budget a certain payment amount since the principle and interest changes each month. So it's a mixed bag on tracking loans. But it seems that a simple account to account transfer is trackable now using the mixed interval method. But not available on the new style. Thanks, Mike

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 28 Aug, 2019 12:38 AM

Sean,

Let me amend my observations. You still can't budget payments to a credit card. Although you do pick up some amounts on the budget reports. The amount is the sum of all payments and credits to that credit card. Not just the payment. Not sure if that is the same issue on the MAC version. But JR seemed to indicate that it was working on his MAC. But its not on Windows. (Windows 7 64bit build 1888)
    Thanks Mike

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Sean Reilly on 28 Aug, 2019 10:16 AM

Hi Mike,

Yes, omitting credit card transfers from the budgets is intentional because
    if you could budget the credit card payments as well as the actual spending
    from a card then you'd be counting those expenses twice: once in their
    category and once when paying off the card.

Thanks,
    Sean

5. System closed this discussion on 27 Nov, 2019 10:20 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac