Custom start date for budget

Shannon

03 Dec, 2019 11:12 PM

Can I create a budget that starts on a specific day of each month?

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 04 Dec, 2019 12:48 AM

just a user,

Yes if you use the Mixed Interval Period setup

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Maddy on 04 Dec, 2019 12:43 PM

Hi Shannon,
    Thank you for contacting Moneydance support.

There are two types of budget available within Moneydance, and you can read about them both in this section of the knowledge base.

Go to Tools —> Budget Manager, and select ‘New’. You can then enter the budget name and select the ‘period’.
    Selecting either Weekly, Biweekly, Monthly or Annually will create budget using this time period, and the 'Newer' budget format.
    Selecting Mixed Interval will create an older style budget, which can have categories with different time intervals.

I would like to confirm what mhoggie said, recommending using the 'Mixed Interval' format. Using the budget type, you can amend the start and end date for each budget item, and they're not set as the specific month/year etc.

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know if you have further questions or need any assistance.

--
    Maddy, Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Susan Ballou on 20 Jan, 2020 10:07 PM

Hi! I've had this issue, too and it doesn't give me an option to even start the Mixed Interval budget... it keeps saying "not enough days in the selected period to make a budget".

4. 4 Posted by mhoggie on 21 Jan, 2020 05:05 AM

just a user,

I see you are using the budget calculator. I found it to be on marginally useful. Best way I found to set up my budget account is to expense reports and manually setting my budget amounts. Try to boil things down to limit the amount of categories to budget. Of course there are still the issues trying to budget any kind of loan payment if you have the loan or credit card set up in MD. So can't loan or credit card amounts unless you add a few work around methods. Trying to budget every possible category became a nightmare to me.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac