exporting/reporting category totals for a custom time period

samou812

27 Jan, 2020 04:43 PM

Hello. I've been using Moneydance [v. 2017.8 (1691)] for about 14 months, albeit in a very limited fashion. That mode of use might be contributing to my current issue. I've been retired for several years; my spouse retired November, 2018. My initial objective was to calculate whether our annual expenses were within our annual defined benefit income (we have both pension income and IRA-type investments). I did not initially want the complications of entering income or doing formal budgeting, so I created a "dummy" account with beginning balance equal to our annual total defined benefit income. I then created about 20 expense categories, and at the end of each month, I posted our actual expenses by category, resulting in a declining balance in the dummy account. That worked well and didn't consume too much time. My intention was to tabulate the expense totals by category for the period November 1, 2018 to October 31, 2019, review those expenses, and construct a "real" 12 month budget for calendar 2020 on that basis. I was delayed by some personal issues, so I posted an "extra" 2 months (November and December 2019) expenses against the "dummy" account. I now want to get total expense totals by category for the period January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2019, preferably in a format I can open in LibreOffice Calc. If possible, I'd actually like to get that data for three different overlapping 12 month periods independently: November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2019; December 1, 2018 - November 31, 2019; January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019. That way I could use any large differences between category totals between the three 12 month periods as a sanity check. However, I could easily live with only the Jan -Dec numbers. I have not been able to find any way to get my expense category totals for my custom date range of 12 of the posted 14 months ( I have been able to get totals for the entire 14 month span). None of the export data formats seem to be suitable for spreadsheet import. I tried to create QIF files by date range and import back into Moneydance, but those transactions were added to the dummy account, distorting my actual totals (I restored the dummy account only database from backup). What I want to do seems simple in concept, yet it is beginning to look like there is a mismatch between my simplistic approach to expense accounting and budgeting and the functions available in Moneydance. Is there a relatively simple way to accomplish what I want, or have I shot myself in the foot here? I'd more than appreciate any advice or comments. Sorry this missive was so long, but I wanted to make certain I conveyed my question accurately. Thanks.

SAM

1. 1 Posted by samou812 on 27 Jan, 2020 04:56 PM

REMOVED - EDITED ORIGINAL POST

2. 2 Posted by samou812 on 01 Feb, 2020 12:33 PM

Resolved. Used income and expense reporting with custom dates and saved report as csv. I keep getting hung up on the fact that the main file export (imo the first place a typical user would look to extract transaction data from the program) does not have a csv export option, but the report save function does. Also, there is a particular sequence required in naming and saving that isn't particularly intuitive (get the sequence wrong and you will save a file without an extension in Windows). Anyway, I got it to work to my satisfaction. I will upgrade to the current version to see if perhaps any of that has been made smoother. I have been very happy with the program for posting my monthly expense transactions. I may actually try to use both the income and expense sides of the program this year :) Thanks, please close incident.

3. samou812 closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2020 12:33 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac