Activate any of the 3 budget roll over options

gsealbe

31 Jul, 2020 06:45 AM

I can't activate any of the 3 budger options for setting future budgets based on historical data. All the screen allows me is to enter data manually which is error-prone and time-consuming.
When I right-click and select any of the three options available, nothing happens when I select and enter. Advice please.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 31 Jul, 2020 08:09 PM

Hello,

Can you please clarify where specifically you are getting into trouble in the setup instructions? https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/budgeting-2/

If it helps, you can attach a screenshot of where you are getting stuck. If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, please see http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by Kidglove57 on 31 Jul, 2020 09:42 PM

Did you try refreshing the page after selecting the “auto fill” budget option? Click away to another page or, to be quite sure, close and reopen Moneydance. Weirdly, I found that to be necessary for the numbers to show up.

3. 3 Posted by Kidglove57 on 31 Jul, 2020 09:44 PM

4. 4 Posted by gsealbe on 31 Jul, 2020 10:42 PM

Frankly, I'm totally confused. After selecting the 'newer' option I then
    realised I could use the Fixed Interval option. However when I tried to
    access that option nothing happened.
    I'm sending you a screenshot of the current position. The 3 options of
    Copying adjusted / Copying previous / and manual, I can't get to work.
    Budgeting is simple, why is MD so hard?

5. 5 Posted by Kidglove57 on 01 Aug, 2020 07:45 AM

Just wondering - do you have any historical data (transactions) entered in your accounts records yet for MD to work with?

I just set up a trial monthly budget in MD to see if I could recreate your problem. I went into August and selected “use actual spending from previous period” and my August budget populated immediately.
    MD is more complex than some budget programmes but that is because it offers so much more functionality. There are many alternative simpler budgeting options out there if they suit your needs better?
    PS: I’m just a fellow MD user.

6. 6 Posted by gsealbe on 02 Aug, 2020 10:55 PM

Thanx for the assistance. I've decided to abandon the MD budget and
    develop a cash flow forecast using MS Excel.
    MD's budget is definitely not User friendly - they've made a mess of it.
    Thnx again.

7. 7 Posted by Kidglove57 on 03 Aug, 2020 06:26 AM

It takes longer to “get into” and to tweak MD to your needs than any finance app I have ever used - and I agree that the budgeting UI is pretty dire (but actually it works well). But it really does repay the effort.

I wish I could look over your shoulder and see what it was that was going wrong for you!

Once set up (I am using the Mixed Interval version) I combine it with the use of Budget reports. All my interrogation of it my budget is through those Reports, which can be easily customised.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac