unkown - no name account has amounts showing up in budget

roy

12 Nov, 2020 03:56 PM

I have started utilizing the Budget feature but find something I do not understand & searching cannot find an answer. While setting it up I see an account at the top without a name that has entries that do not make any sense. I have looked back at the months where these show up and see no entries in any of my accounts that could explain them being there?

Is there a way to see where they are coming from?

Roy

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 12 Nov, 2020 04:33 PM

just a user,

Have you tried searching for the $28? Possibly assigned to a blank category?

2. 2 Posted by roy on 12 Nov, 2020 05:51 PM

HI,

Yes, tried that and since there are listings of other amounts in the same no
    name account in other previous months I have gone to each month and looked
    at all the postings in all the accounts and find nothing that could be
    picked up? Just can not figure where it is getting these numbers and will
    double check looking for blanks.

My concern is I imported my Quicken history when I started with Moneyance
    and have a concern that it happened there with the bokerage accounts.

Roy

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 12 Nov, 2020 06:15 PM

just a user,

Here is an idea. Per your attachment I see the $28 dollars to that blank category occurred during this month. It's just a transaction that MD is showing that you can budget if you want. So you are just looking for transactions with blank categories that are adding up to $28 this month. You can use the transaction filter to see those individual transactions grouped by their categories. So in the Reports, select "Transaction Filter", uncheck everything except for the Date set to "This Month" and "Subtotal by Category". Then generate the report. You should see that blank category with a total of $28 listed with all its individual transactions.

4. 4 Posted by roy on 12 Nov, 2020 06:51 PM

mhoggie,

Fantastic instructions! Thank you.

Worked and it was an expense without a category. Bave it one and gone!

I am feeling better about being able to ignore the past things in this
    blank account on the report now.

Roy

5. 5 Posted by mhoggie on 12 Nov, 2020 07:11 PM

very good,

I've used MD budget for many years. You are using the default "new style budget", but there is also another version listed under the "Periods" as "Mixed Interval (Old Style), I prefer that budget setup best because the "new style budget" gradually gets slower and slower to open as you add transactions. Also you can't set a budget for a year, you just have to copy last months budget each month. Also on all the budgeting in MD you cannot budget a loan payment or account transfer. If you have a loan and set it up in MD, you can't budget the payment easily. Or you are transferring money to your investments that are set up in MD. It used to work a few years ago, but no more. So just search the discussions for loan budgeting and you will find a few tricks get around that problem where those payments can be set up in the budget. Of course if the loan is not set up in MD, then the payments can be budgeted.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• budget1.jpg 63.8 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac