Archiving (purging) transactions from selected accounts

JL Bates

15 Jul, 2020 10:02 PM

How is the best way of archiving / purging transactions from a selected account.
For example, for one or more accounts, I want to keep all transactions since the beginning of its life, but in other accounts, I want to purge all transactions before a specified date. One reason for doing this is to reduce the size of the moneydance file.
Thanks,
JL Bates

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 15 Jul, 2020 10:11 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Archiving was removed from Moneydance in the 2015 version, it was found it was causing considerable problems and resulting in data loss, especially in investment accounts where historical data is often required and date based archiving does not typically play well with investment data.

They way Moneydance writes data is to record transactions and changes to transactions as separate transactions, it is using a journal based approach, hence the process that would require archiving to work would actually increase the size of the data set as the act of deleting transactions from the current file would be recorded separately.

Using a journal based system facilitates the syncing that Moneydance performs between different devices.

2. 2 Posted by lbates_etc on 15 Jul, 2020 10:35 PM

So, is there anyway of accomplishing what I was wanting to do.
    I was testing this scenario, but not sure if there would be any undesirable ramifications.

1. export the accounts that I want to keep all transactions since its beginning into a separate "file 1"
     there can be multiple files each containing a specific account
    2. export the moneydance selecting only transactions since a specific date, say 1/1/2019
    3. import the file step 2 into a new "file 2" that will contain the final results
    4. using "file 2" from step 3, delete the accounts identified in step 1
    5. using "file 2" updated from step 4, import "file 1" (or more) from step 1

what do you think

Thanks, JL
         On Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 05:11:11 PM CDT, dwg <[email blocked]> wrote:

#yiv2780067032 pre {width:92%;margin:10px 2%;padding:5px 2%;background:#efefef;border:1px solid #d6d6d6;}#yiv2780067032 blockquote {margin-left:0;padding-left:1em;border-left:5px solid #ccc;}
    |

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 16 Jul, 2020 08:12 PM

Hello,

As dwg explained, this will likely make your investment accounts incorrect, and in general this won't have a significant effect on file size. The other additional issue is that you will be removing all transactions that are transfers between your accounts. For example, if any of the transactions you are removing are transfers to or from the account you want to keep the full history of, you will also be deleting those transactions from the account you want to keep, which will ruin your balances and history. For reasons like these, we recommend that you simply use the filters at the top of your registers, and the date range settings in reports, to only display the data you want.

If you are set on this process, I'd think it would actually be easier to just make a copy of your data file itself, open that, and then delete the transactions you don't want to keep from that file. You should be left with what you want, although again this may require a lot of manual cleanup if we're talking about investment accounts, or transfer transactions. This method would also make it easy to go back to your original data file if you make a mistake or don't like the results.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

09 Aug, 2020 08:38 PM
09 Aug, 2020 08:37 PM
09 Aug, 2020 08:33 PM