Differing versions side-by-side

tgilbert666

10 Aug, 2020 12:27 AM

I've searched the KB extensively but can't find this question answered anywhere.

Can I install two (several?) DIFFERENT versions of Moneydance on the same computer (Windows 10 in my case) without conflicts? Obviously I would plan to duplicate my data so that each version has a discrete dataset.

Can anyone point me to KB instructions on how to do so and what to watch out for?

I'm currently running 2019.3 (#1897) and am hesitant that a few of the 2020(#1919) "improvements" might actually cause me trouble (for instance ALL my cheque numbers are currently alphanumeric! #1903 and I often drill down into category registers and don't want to lose that functionality #1900 and might rather wait for the promised "better solution") so I would like to test before committing to an upgrade..

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 10 Aug, 2020 01:10 AM

I'm a fellow user.

I have done it on a test machine using a very specific installation and running Moneydance via some custom scripting but it is not something I could recommend doing, it is rather a brute force approach I have had to use, being graceful did not work and it is too easy to break.

The only clean, supported way to do is to install Moneydance into a separate folder and to run it using a different user account, thus keeping its installation and data separate.

2. 2 Posted by tgilbert666 on 10 Aug, 2020 02:57 AM

Thanks dwg,

installing under a different user account is an ideal solution and I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it!!

Kudos!!

3. tgilbert666 closed this discussion on 10 Aug, 2020 02:57 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac