Backgrade/downgrade and database constraints

tgilbert666

10 Aug, 2020 12:31 AM

Can anyone point me to a document that clarifies which version changes make changes to the underlying data structure and would thus hinder or prevent a backgrade/downgrade without reverting to version-specific data backups?

The changelog isn't explicit on this subject and some changes suggest that backgrading might be awkward or impossible. Nowhere can I find this documented.

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 10 Aug, 2020 01:30 AM

I'm a fellow user.

It is not documented anywhere, nor do I believe any testing is done on downgrades. It is not something I test, nor is it a level of compatibility I expect in software.

The last major change to the the data structures was made in Moneydance 2015, so it is known it is not possible to downgrade from that or any later version to an earlier release.

Since then the basic data structures have essentially remained unchanged but there have been detail changes in how various features work in the different versions since, which may or may not impact downgrading to an older version.

The best policy is to assume you cannot downgrade.

2. 2 Posted by tgilbert666 on 10 Aug, 2020 02:55 AM

Thanks dwg, I appreciate the input.

However I disagree in so far as, the BEST policy would be for Maddy or Ethan to raise an enhancement request to version the data structure separately to the application which would just be a process change going forward when documenting the changelog, not any coding.

An acceptable interim policy is to assume one cannot downgrade.

Thanks!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac