Can't edit list of items for check number column

Eric Weir

25 Aug, 2020 07:38 PM

I have several erroneously entered items in the list of items that are suggested for the check number column.

When I click on "edit list" a small window opens with this explanation: "Items in the list below will appear, along with check numbers from any recent transactions, in the Check Number popup when editing a transaction." However no items are listed.

How do I edit this list?

Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 25 Aug, 2020 09:25 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It sounds like you are using Moneydance 2020.

There should be a few fixed items in the list. The Plus and minus signs at the bottom of the list allow you to add and delete items from the fixed list.

Double clicking on an item in the list allows you to change its name.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 26 Aug, 2020 08:59 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Eric

Sean has released a new preview build that affect the check # feature.

Rev Log.
    Moneydance 2020.1 build 1925 (Wed, 26 Aug 2020 23:55:00 +0000)
    * add check number list options to account settings window * improve UI for account-specific or global check number list options * add check number list options to all check number popup fields (including other-side transactions, investment transactions, liability account transactions)

Hope this helps.

3. 3 Posted by Eric Weir on 19 Nov, 2020 06:32 PM

Previous responses to this inquiry aren't helping me.

dwg says there should be a few fixed items on the list. When I elect "edit list" at the bottom of the available items for the check number field no items are listed. Since none are listed, there is no way to eliminate items.

derekken23 lists new features related to the check number feature added to build 1925 (08/26/2020). The list of added features doesn't tell me how to edit the list of items available for insertion in the check number field. I want to eliminate items from the list, but when I elect "edit list" the field where items would be listed is empty. As it's empty, I can't edit it.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Nov, 2020 07:17 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

Are you using 2020 or later..?
    Try this.
    Goto Menu Tools Accounts, select the account, select edit
    Near the bottom select Check Numbers.
    - Select Default to use the global settings, or Account specific
    Then Edit
    A pop up list will appear of fixed items and you can add/del (+/-)
    You can also choose to include recent entries (or not).
    If the item you are looking for is not there, then it must be a remembered entry from a txn in your register..?

5. 5 Posted by Eric Weir on 19 Nov, 2020 07:28 PM

Thanks, Stuart. When I read your suggestion I was hopeful. A different route with a different result? Alas, same result. The field where the available items should be displayed is empty. I’ve attached a screenshot.

6. 6 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 19 Nov, 2020 07:40 PM

Stuart Beesley - JUST A FELLOW USER's Avatar

In that case you have transactions with the erroneous Check numbers on. You will need to go and correct/edit the actual transactions for them to disappear, or change the option above to Max Entries 0....?

7. 7 Posted by dwg on 19 Nov, 2020 07:48 PM

If you do not want items to appear from already selected transactions just change Recent Entries to "Don't Include"

At the maximum there are only 6 pre-defined out of the box items:

CkCrd
    Dep
    Trn
    CashPt
    Print
    Next Chk No

The final two are driven by the two check boxes on the screen you are showing

8. 8 Posted by Eric Weir on 19 Nov, 2020 07:57 PM

Thanks again, Stuart. I changed Max Entries to 0. That emptied the list. Then I added in what I wanted. Problem solved. I hope.

9. 9 Posted by Eric Weir on 19 Nov, 2020 08:06 PM

Thanks dwg. My list got cluttered with mistyped entries. I took Stuart’s suggestion and changed Max Entries to 0. I’m in the process of adding back items I want to have available. It appears changing “Recent Entries” to “Don’t Include” keeps the old mistyped entries from appearing.

I think the problem has been solved. I hope.

The problem was that I didn’t understand the logic of the edit window. I‘m getting the range of it now.

10. Maddy closed this discussion on 20 Nov, 2020 02:28 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac