Co-existance of version 2014 with latest version

Robin Phillips

21 Sep, 2020 10:20 AM

Is it feasible for Version 2014 to co-exist with the latest version on the same Windows 10 Laptop?

I have used Moneydance for a long time and have upgraded through various versions to the 2014 Version.
I wish to purchase the latest version but need to also do a major review of the data.
Can the two versions co-exist on a single Windows 10 Laptop (with latest Microsoft updates) or must I install separately on another computer?

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 21 Sep, 2020 10:29 AM

The only supportable way to run Moneydance on the one computer is to install the two versions to different locations and to run them under different user accounts. The data structures between the two versions are totally different, once Moneydance 2020 upgrades a data set it can no longer be read by Moneydance 2014, you can only used the data set that was saved as part of the upgrade process, but you would be wise to take a backup in any case.

2. 2 Posted by Robin Phillips on 21 Sep, 2020 10:41 AM

Thank You, I am prepared to use different user accounts but need to be able to enter transactions into both versions for a time while cleaning up the historical data.

Using two different laptops would have simply been too cumbersome.

I assume I would then create a new user account and transfer the 2014 version data to that account.
    Then upgrade on the normal account.
    Once I have performed the required cleanup, I could then delete on the "new" account and remove that account, leaving the upgraded version on the normal account.

Correct?
    Regards
    Robin

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 21 Sep, 2020 11:08 AM

Yes that is one of the approaches you could take. It should work.

I can only really tell you the approach I would take and why.

If I had a choice I would much rather do cleaning up of the data using Moneydance 2014. This is due to the data structures in the 2014 version. Moneydance 2014 uses a single file for the storage of the actual data and any changes you make are absolute in that they change the original stored information. Moneydance 2020 uses a journal data structure so any changes you make are stored as a series of change transactions. There are good reasons why the data structure was changed, it does facilitate the syncing that the product now has.

While you can use either approach my personal preference would be to bring a cleaned up data set into Moneydance 2020, as the starting point for moving forward. I just feel it is a cleaner approach.

Your call, either way would work.

4. 4 Posted by robinphillips on 21 Sep, 2020 11:16 AM

Thank You,  I can see that that would be the simplest and least prone to glitches.

I do have a need to run two separate systems for a time.

I will create another user and do the cleanup etc on Version 2014 and then upgrade to Version 2020

Thanks for all your help.

Please close the request.

Regards
    Robin

Original Message
    To: [email blocked];
    Date: 2020/09/21 13:08:58
    Subject: Re: Co-existance of version 2014 with latest version [General Questions #103144]

// Please reply above this line
    ==================================================

Yes that is one of the approaches you could take. It should work.

I can only really tell you the approach I would take and why.

If I had a choice I would much rather do cleaning up of the data using Moneydance 2014. This is due to the data structures in the 2014 version. Moneydance 2014 uses a single file for the storage of the actual data and any changes you make are absolute in that they change the original stored information. Moneydance 2020 uses a journal data structure so any changes you make are stored as a series of change transactions. There are good reasons why the data structure was changed, it does facilitate the syncing that the product now has.

While you can use either approach my personal preference would be to bring a cleaned up data set into Moneydance 2020, as the starting point for moving forward. I just feel it is a cleaner approach.

Your call, either way would work.

On Mon, Sep 21 at 03:41 AM PDT, Robin Phillips wrote:

Thank You, I am prepared to use different user accounts but need to be able to enter transactions into both versions for a time while cleaning up the historical data.

Using two different laptops would have simply been too cumbersome.

I assume I would then create a new user account and transfer the 2014 version data to that account.
    Then upgrade on the normal account.
    Once I have performed the required cleanup, I could then delete on the "new" account and remove that account, leaving the upgraded version on the normal account.

Correct?
    Regards
    Robin

Having trouble reading this? View this discussion online: Co-existance of version 2014 with latest version.

Reply with #ignore to stop receiving notifications for this discussion.

5. Maddy closed this discussion on 21 Sep, 2020 11:52 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac