Delay in Syncing at Startup

charlieshanlin

31 Oct, 2020 12:41 PM

Hello

I am a great fan of Moneydance and have been using it for 5+ years. My current version is 2019.1.

I run Moneydance on 3 devices
a) A PC running Windows 10
b) An Apple Macbook Pro running macOS Catalina 10.15.7
c) An iphone6 running iOS 12.4.8

I sync across the 3 devices using Dropbox (which I use only for Moneybox).
Recently I have noticed a lengthening time for Moneydance to load and fully sync at start up. It now normally take 80 -100 seconds for the "Finished Writing Sync Data" message to appear on both the PC and the Mac.

Is this normal or could I have a problem?

It has always been my practice on starting up to wait for the Finished Writing message before attempting any new input.
Also I try to make sure that I do not open Moneydance on the PC and on the Mac at the same time?
Are these precautions necessary?

I would welcome your comments / advice about how to overcome the delay..

Thank you
Charlie Shanlin

1. 1 Posted by derekkent23 on 31 Oct, 2020 03:06 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Charlie

Some of the issues you are having may be due to the fact you are running a very old build 2019.1

2019/2020 use the same key so you should upgrade to 2020(1929). Syncing has been improved over time. Download then install from https://infinitekind.com/download_2020

The latest version of Moneydance is 2021(2008) were further improvements have been made. Download and install from https://infinitekind.com/preview

Note 2021 will only be a free upgrade to users who purchased a 2019/2020 key not to users who purchased a 2017 or earlier key. An upgrade for these uses are at a 50% discount.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 31 Oct, 2020 08:18 PM

I'm a fellow user.

There are no hard and fast rules about how long it should take, as with many compouter related things it "depends".

One of the most significant "depend" factors when syncing is the method used.

Dropbox folder should be the fastest method. This is simply because Moneydance is just reading data from your local disk.

Shared Folder should be next, it will be slower because it is reading data from a network device, yes the device is generally on you LAN but it is sill being read/written over a network.

Dropbox connection will be the slowest. The software is reading and writing across the internet and is using an API to do this.

3. 3 Posted by charlieshanlin on 17 Nov, 2020 04:04 PM

Hi dwg

Thanks for your reply received a couple of weeks ago.  I am very sorry
    that I have not acknowledged it earlier.

I have changed from Dropbox Connection to Dropbox Folder with an
    immediate reponse.   Syncing is now almost instantaneous.

Thanks again.  Your help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Charlie Shanlin

4. Melissa closed this discussion on 29 Jan, 2021 11:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac