Category - How to switch from income to expense

ferreirabill

13 Nov, 2020 01:46 AM

Not sure how it happened, probably my mistake, but some of my categories and subcategories are mis-categorized as income rather than expense. Even worse, a top level category might be income (in error) while the subcategories are a mix of income and expense.

Please see attached jpeg.

Is there a way for me to straighten out this mess?

Thanks,
Bill

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 13 Nov, 2020 02:10 AM

I'm fellow user.

We mostly see this problem with imported QIF data. QIF does not distinguish between income and expense categories, it is also possible to have categories with the same name on both sides, hence there is plenty of room for problems to occur. There is limited scope to catch these during the import given the limited and incomplete amount of data that is in the QIF file on categories.

I have some notes on category restructuring which may give you some guidance I have reproduced this below, it is a manual job so will require some effort.

---

At times a category will be created as the wrong type and it is necessary to change the type. Once a category has been created it is not possible to change the type. You need to take an indirect approach to facilitate this. We need to create a new category of the correct type and move the transactions to this new category.

As with any restructure you should take a backup before you start, but it is especially important here because any mistake can really damage your data.

Firstly create a new category of the correct type. After doing this open the category you wish to change the type of, you do this by going to the category window through the menu command Tools → Categories, select the category then right click and in the drop down select “Open in New Window”.

This displays a register window – but note this is a category register window not the account type registers you are used to working with. Select all transaction in this register, generally you can do this by selecting a transaction then using the keyboard shortcut CTRL-A (CMD-A on Mac)

Now right click on the transactions and Select Batch Change. Select to Change the Account. The software will then display a window where you can scroll down and select the Category to move the transactions to.

After pressing the OK button the transactions will be moved.

The original category should now be empty, if there are any subcategories you should change the parent of these and after doing this you should be able to delete the category.

Note that my statement on selecting to "Change the Account" is quite deliberate

2. 2 Posted by ferreirabill on 13 Nov, 2020 06:21 AM

Thanks for the very detailed response. I've got some work ahead of me but not too much I think.

3. ferreirabill closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2020 06:22 AM.

4. ferreirabill re-opened this discussion on 13 Nov, 2020 08:34 AM

5. 3 Posted by ferreirabill on 13 Nov, 2020 08:34 AM

Many thanks. I expected that it would be a manual task but you tips make it
    easier than I thought it would be.

-Bill

6. Maddy closed this discussion on 13 Nov, 2020 11:55 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac