Split transactions

Stuart Edson

14 Nov, 2020 12:00 PM

Hello!

I am a newbie to Moneydance, having given up on Quicken after many, many years. For the most part Moneydance is working for me as I am just looking for a way to keep track of my income/expenses and pull relevant reports. I don't use it for online banking or budgeting.

The ONE thing that I can't make work is getting a report to include totals from split transactions. Example - I have a category called 'Groceries' for any food I purchase, and a category called 'Medical' for any medical expenses. I recently went to the pharmacy to purchase a prescription and grabbed a snack while checking out. I entered this into Moneydance ($4 for the script and $1 for the snack) as a split transaction, assigning the Groceries and Medical categories to each. The problem is that when I run my memorized report for how much I spent on groceries this month it totals all but the $1 spent on the split transaction snack.

I know this has been discussed in previous posts (believe me I have searched) and I have found a workaround by using tags. It is not convenient nor efficient to need to add both a category AND a tag to get the results I am looking for. It seems like a no-brainer to me that I should be able to include ALL category entries in my report but I can't make it work.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. I would really, really like to kick the Quicken habit and continue using Moneydance.

Thanks to all in advance

Note: I am a Windows 10 user with a paid version of 2021 Moneydance

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 14 Nov, 2020 01:30 PM

just a user,

What report are you using ?

2. 2 Posted by Stuart Edson on 14 Nov, 2020 01:40 PM

I'm using a memorized report based on Cash Flow.

3. 3 Posted by mhoggie on 14 Nov, 2020 01:54 PM

just a user,

The Cash Flow report seems to be messed up for pulling category details.
    Use the Income and Expense report and I think you will have better results. It will separate everything by categories and list a subtotal for each.

4. 4 Posted by Stuart Edson on 14 Nov, 2020 02:11 PM

Perfect! Thank you so much!

5. System closed this discussion on 13 Feb, 2021 02:20 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac