option to disable similar payees functionality

elektronen

13 Jan, 2021 10:20 PM

Hi. I have discovered that quite frequently, after making a Split, then hitting Enter, and then Cmd-Enter to confirm, what I confirmed ends up being a similar payee, and not the Split I just finished entering. This is quite frustrating, and screws up my ledger, and there's no reasonable means of backing out these changes without undoing everything back to where the first misadventure occurred.

This is absurd, as a Cmd-Enter should always confirm according to what was just entered, not a spurious match to a similar payee!

As I find Similar Payees generally useless, I want a means of turning it off completely. Does this already exist as a backend tweak, and if not, can it be added to the feature requests?

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 13 Jan, 2021 11:40 PM

HI elektronen,

That sounds like a royal PITA.

Try this the next time you want to enter a split...
    Enter the amount of the transaction first. Then, enter the Description and splits.

Doing so should circumvent any auto-complete and hopefully any subsequent Similar Payee matching.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

2. 2 Posted by elektronen on 16 Jan, 2021 08:42 PM

Hi Kevin,

I think you're thinking of something other than what I'm experiencing. The issue is not in the Split... dialog itself. In the right pane of the main window (see attached), there's a list of Similar Payees.

Moneydance 2021 (2006) default behavior, as I just confirmed, is to auto-select the first Similar Payee immediately upon selection of a transaction. This makes absolutely no sense to me. If I change the transaction's Category, then the Current Transaction becomes active, and Cmd-Enter confirms Current Transaction details. However, if I perform a Split..., the auto-selected Similar Payee remains selected, and thus a Cmd-Enter following completion of a Split... confirms the Similar Payee, NOT the Current Transaction!

Similar Payee should ALWAYS be something the user deliberately selects as an alternative to Current Transaction.

Thanks,

Mike

3. 3 Posted by -Kevin N. on 16 Jan, 2021 11:01 PM

Hi Mike,

Ah, OK. I see now what you mean.

This behavior is likely the reason that I've grown accustomed to using the mouse to confirm transactions.

There should at the very least be a means to TAB into the confirmation sidebar to allow the user to use the ARROW keys to move up and down the various confirmation options offered.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

4. 4 Posted by elektronen on 17 Jan, 2021 01:31 AM

One of the most frustrating aspects of Moneydance is that it partially aligns to the operating system conventions of 3 operating systems, while fully aligning to none of them. The support for keyboard shortcuts in this regard is particularly abysmal. The arcane key combos required in the Split... dialog, which I use frequently, are especially bad.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac