Tracking splits of categories and accounts

harold

08 Mar, 2021 05:19 PM

Hi, how do I record a loan payment from a checking account to a liability account, while also splitting the amount into principle and interest so that the interest portion can be captured as a carrying charge for tax purposes and the principal payments update the loan balance?

Under double entry accounting I cannot split a transfer; so I tried to split the loan payment in the checking account into principle and interest portion, transferring the principal amount to the liability account and the interest portion to the expense category Carrying Charge. However, Cntrl L does not bring up the split window in the loan payment. It seems that because originally the transaction was a transfer directly from the checking to the loan account, the internal ID still says it is a transfer and blocks the splitting. I have deleted the description and category fields, but that was not enough.

The downloaded loan payment had been replaced by a manual entry via the transfer from the liability account, but re-downloading the loan payment into the checking account and merging it with the existing transaction did not allow me to split it.

Also, is there a way to batch change the loan payments in the checking account into principal and interest splits?
Thanks

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 08 Mar, 2021 05:39 PM

just a user,

If you are making a payment from checking, you should be able to split the category and apply an amount to your liability account and another to an interest category. That will update the liability balance and add the interest to the category you chose.

That does work for me when creating a new transaction in checking.

So I'm not sure how you are being blocked from adding a split.

2. 2 Posted by harold on 08 Mar, 2021 08:49 PM

Hi, I just realized that I can duplicate the transaction and split it, so this is ok, but I would still like to know why that series of transactions could not be split. In trying to record the split I went through a number of prior steps that I do not recall, it may have involved a batch move from another account. Thanks

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

10 Apr, 2021 12:02 PM
10 Apr, 2021 11:30 AM
10 Apr, 2021 11:16 AM