MD 2022.4 Backup and Restore on a mac

jdschimmer

21 May, 2022 10:37 PM

Can you point me to documentation on how to best restore an old backup temporarily and then be able to restore my current backup permanently? I cannot get my account to reconcile, so I want to make sure my old backup balanced.

If I select restore from backup, it doesn't give me an option to go to the backup folder used by moneydance. I can go to Help, Show Backup Folder and click on the backup folder to see all my backups. Can I just double-click on these backups to open them?

I don't want to goof something up. Thanks

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 21 May, 2022 11:25 PM

I'm a fellow user.

Yes you should be able to double click on a backup, or from the Restore from Backup menu item you should get a window that allows you to navigate to where the backups are and select one to restore.

You will note that the backups have a date appended to the name, when you restore it creates a new data set with this name so it does not overwrite the data you have, when you are finished using the restored backup then you can use the operating system's file manager to delete it. Moneydance does not have options to delete data sets (files)

If you restore a backup and want to keep it permanently then you use your systems File Manager again to rename it to something more permanent.

Not building in this capability into Moneydance is a fail safe mechanism to help stop accidents. By requiring you to use the standard operating system tools means you have to do it deliberately.

2. 2 Posted by jdschimmer on 21 May, 2022 11:44 PM

Thanks. I will give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone

3. 3 Posted by Stuart Beesley ... on 22 May, 2022 05:11 AM

NOTE: When you open/restore a backup - watch out for the (new) retain sync settings tick box... You need to UNTICK this box if you want a test / copy dataset. Otherwise it will rebuild your backup with live data.....

4. 4 Posted by jdschimmer on 23 May, 2022 08:42 PM

That solved my question. Thanks.

5. jdschimmer closed this discussion on 23 May, 2022 08:42 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac