starting up

kev

01 May, 2009 02:56 PM

i've just found MD and am trying to get started. i have 4 separate bank accounts that i am downloading YTD data for. i often xfer money between the four accounts. what i'm confused about is how to classify transfers so that they're not expenses or income. i tried setting the category to the related bank account but MD just duplicated the transaction. is there a way to manually connect both ends of the transfer? is there another way to do this? i know if i were doing this real time this wouldnt be the issue, but i would really like to get some historical data to help w/ budgeting etc.

many thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 02 May, 2009 05:45 PM

Hi Kev

What you are doing is in fact the correct approach for transferring money form one account to another. However you are also correct that if you have account A making a transfer into account B when you import the transactions to account B you will get a duplicate transaction. The key to not getting a duplicate transaction is to match the transaction with the already existing transaction when you download the transactions from account B.

If you already have the transactions in your accounts I'm afraid you'll have to delete the duplicates by hand. Sorting by category will group all the appropriate transaction together and make the process a little less painful. But only a little.

I hope this is helpful.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 02 May, 2009 05:45 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac