Import QIF not seeing categories

kerino

03 May, 2009 09:28 AM

Hi, I exported a file from Quicken 98, but when I read it into MD, all the categories get changed to "Accountancy Fee". Have I done something wrong? I have attached a sample QIF file. Many thanks Kerin

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 04 May, 2009 07:37 PM

Hi Kerin

h\Here is the list of steps to follow to import a qif file

http://help.infinitekind.com/faqs/frequently-asked-questions-2/how-can-i-transfer-my-data-from-quicken-or-money-into-moneydance

The trick is to do the import in two stages. First to import the account info and then to import the transaction data.

I followed the steps in the link above with your file, imported the account info then the data and the categories have been applied correctly.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 04 May, 2009 07:37 PM.

3. kerino re-opened this discussion on 05 May, 2009 08:53 AM

4. 2 Posted by kerino on 05 May, 2009 08:53 AM

----- Original Message ----- From: "Infinite Kind Support" [email blocked] To: [email blocked] Sent: Monday, May 04, 2009 8:37 PM Subject: Re: Import QIF not seeing categories [Questions]

Hi Ben, Thanks for the information - I have now imported the data correctly.

As a new user, I would like to suggest that this is far from intuitive, and from a customers viewpoint (as opposed to a programmers) it is unnecessarily clumbersome. This sort of operation should be done in one step. If the program needs to parse the QIF twice, then this can be done "behind the scenes". Many thanks Kerin

5. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 06 May, 2009 08:41 PM

Hi Kerin,

I completely agree and have thought the same thing myself. I have spoken with the developer on this topic and they are aware that it is complex and making it simpler for the user is in their consciousness. The developer tells me with files exported from the later version of Quicken is only a 1 step process.

I am sorry that this was a problem for you.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

6. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 06 May, 2009 08:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac