Lost the 'shadow' (copy) _xxx.md file

Katahdin

03 May, 2009 06:35 PM

Lost the 'shadow' (copy) _xxx.md file after I updated to 631 from (i think) 587 or so.

In my previous version there used to be a copy/shadow file saved in the format of _xxxx.md .

Was this terminated on purpose ? Is it an option that I don;t see in the preferences?

TIA

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 04 May, 2009 06:53 PM

Hello

I believe you are refering to the backup file copies that moneydance creates. Please correct me if I am in wrong.

if you have a file called finances.md there can be finances.md-yyyymmdd (for last N days backups) or finances.md~ (on every save backups) and finances.md^ (auto-save backups)

You can specify the location of the backup copies by Selecting

File->Preferences...->Backup

And then checking the box that is labeled "Separate Backup Folder"

I hope this helps.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 04 May, 2009 06:53 PM.

3. Katahdin re-opened this discussion on 04 May, 2009 09:31 PM

4. 2 Posted by Katahdin on 04 May, 2009 09:31 PM

two things: (this isn't a serious issue)

1. why are you marking this post as resolved when you didn't get a response?
      That is one of the reasons that you're missing out in the exchange of ideas. Especially since you said: Please correct me if I am in wrong. maybe someone else would have posted here.

2. I'm currently vista / MD ver 631 - Nope - my backup files are fine. I haven't had a saved backup with xxx.md~ since last summer. 08/08 Actually, that might have been when the _xxx.md saved file started. Was that the timeframe for 587? I have autosave checked also - but I'm not 'seeing' xxx.md^ - do those go away when file saved?

Interesting - I just changed my selection on backup from : Make daily backups to: make a backup everytime you save -- and now - then I made minor chg in DB - saved and got the file with xxx.md~

Hope this helps - as you can see it's its not a current issue and I was just expecting a reason why - not a how to !!

Thnaks

5. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 04 May, 2009 09:54 PM

Hello,

I did not intend to be dismissive by marking the discussion as resolved. I think I clicked "comment and resolve" out of an automatic habit. It was the practice with the old fogbugz help site to resolve an issue after each response in order to keep further responses at the top of the to do list. I am still getting used to the Tender system. If additional posts are made to a resolved discussion it reappears on the admins "Pending" list, the support staff do not miss out on the discussion. Even so you are quite right it would have been better to leave the conversation open.

I am not sure of the changes made to the file use since 587 with regard to the ~ file. I'll check in with the developer.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

6. 4 Posted by Katahdin on 04 May, 2009 10:09 PM

Thanks - as I said - it doesn't seem to be an issue - the backup appear to work fine. I was just using that saved copy - which I supposed is now the saved file xxx.md~ renaming it as a temporary checkpoint. Primarily Just curious. I wouldn't bother him - just for your edification. I recall some discussions a while ago with different older versions and o/s.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac