Is this method to change account type OK?

Mary

04 May, 2009 08:27 PM

The method of changing an account type by editing the xml file doesn't appeal to me very much. I would like to find out if this method has any down side to it:

I have an account type Bank that I want to be an Asset or Investment type. It has lots of other-side transactions.

1. I create a new account of the type I want it to be. Check to see that it is there.
  2. I go to the original account; block all the entries in it (select the 1st entry; go to the end; shift-click on the last entry)
  3. I then right-click and select Batch Change > Account Then in the popup, I select the new account name, then OK.

The original file then has no entries and the value is 0 The new file has all the entries and shows the value that the old account had.

4. Last step is to delete the original account (with the wrong type).

I did this with a couple of them and they look fine (backing up before, of course).

So, is there any reason not to do this? It seems easier and less risky than editing the xml file which has so much stuff, it is hard to see what is what.

Thanks for your help with this program. The more I get my data straightened out, the better I am liking it. :-)

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 04 May, 2009 09:23 PM

Hi Mary

I can totially understand your trepidation with editing an XML file.

I just tried the method you described and it seems to work fine, including being up to date when I download transactions. I cannot think of a reason why this would cause any problems. It would change the cleared balance for this account but that doesn't matter as you are deleting the account anyway.

I checked in with another member of the support staff and they also could not think of a problem with your method.

I tentatively encourage you to give this a try. Perhaps it would be worth making a backup of you data file before, just in case. I tend on the cautious side. :-)

Sincerely

Ben Spencer.

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 04 May, 2009 09:23 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

29 Oct, 2020 08:11 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:08 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:00 PM