Reversing debits/credits

jwalzer

08 May, 2009 08:23 PM

I have had to scan (& OCR & convert to QIF) some credit card statements to avoid manually entering them in MD. (One of these days I hope to learn to download more promptly!) Unfortunately they show purchases as positive & payments as negative--the opposite of MD. Does anyone know how to use a function or other means in Apple iWorks Numbers or OpenOffice Calc or, God forbid, MS Excel to reverse the polarity, so to speak?

1. 1 Posted by Brian Adler on 10 May, 2009 06:14 PM

Joel, It would be far simpler to download a file from your credit cards website, and perhaps it is even a credit card that we can add direct connection support for (if we don't have it already). What credit card is it? I'm sure that downloading from their website is not difficult and that their tech support people can walk you through it. Any file type that they have available for download can be imported into Moneydance.

2. 2 Posted by jwalzer on 10 May, 2009 07:15 PM

Brian-

Thanks for the response. I should have been clearer. When I said that "I have HAD to scan SOME credit card statements" I meant to imply that I normally download statements but there were some that I couldn't. Believe me, I understand about downloading statements. I started using money management software on my Apple IIe in 1983 and started using Quicken in 1989 & as soon as they made this feature available, I switched to quicken credit cards (at first you could only download statements from Quicken credit cards). The problem is my bank only has the last 3 months' statements available for download & I didn't download for a few months. I charge a lot of items, so even though there are only a few months, there are a lot of charges. I don't use spread sheets much which is why I was looking for help with a function or something. I think I can use an if/then/else formula once I learn how to do it. Any guidance on that would be greatly appreciated-my knowledge of spreadsheet syntax is extremely limited.

As to the question of direct connect, I'd love that, but I believe all they offer is OFX or QIF files. The bank is Mid-Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union (mhvfcu.com).

3. 3 Posted by jwalzer on 10 May, 2009 07:17 PM

Brian-

Thanks for the response. I should have been clearer. When I said that "I have HAD to scan SOME credit card statements" I meant to imply that I normally download statements but there were some that I couldn't. Believe me, I understand about downloading statements. I started using money management software on my Apple IIe in 1983 and started using Quicken in 1989 & as soon as they made this feature available, I switched to quicken credit cards (at first you could only download statements from Quicken credit cards). The problem is my bank only has the last 3 months' statements available for download & I didn't download for a few months. I charge a lot of items, so even though there are only a few months, there are a lot of charges. I don't use spread sheets much which is why I was looking for help with a function or something. I think I can use an if/then/else formula once I learn how to do it. Any guidance on that would be greatly appreciated-my knowledge of spreadsheet syntax is extremely limited.

As to the question of direct connect, I'd love that, but I believe all they offer is OFX or QIF files. The bank is Mid-Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union (mhvfcu.com).

4. 4 Posted by Brian Adler on 11 May, 2009 05:32 PM

Joel, Mid Hudson Valley FCU actually can be added to our list of supported institutions for direct connect. We will have them added soon. Please check on the "adding banks" list for when the addition is complete. Best, Brian

5. 5 Posted by jwalzer on 11 May, 2009 06:35 PM

Great news. Thanks very much.

6. 6 Posted by jwalzer on 11 May, 2009 06:36 PM

Great news. Thanks very much.

7. Brian Adler closed this discussion on 14 Apr, 2011 08:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac