Importing Quicken Files with multiple currency accounts

cslloyd

09 May, 2009 03:01 AM

Although I followed the instructions to import data account by account from Quicken (2005 for PC) into Moneydance 2006 (for Mac), I found that each account is displayed with British Pounds symbol, which was the currency of the first account I imported. When first exporting out of Quicken I had selected all the options (Transactions, Account List, Category List etc). AFter that I changed the Base Currency to US Dollar, but all that did was change the final totals to USD. After importing the Account Information only for another account, this one based in USD in Quicken and having preselected USD as the currency for its import into Moneydance, I found that its transactions were the right numbers (ie dollar numbers) but the balance had the British Pound symbol still and when I checked "Account > Edit" I found that this account had a Currency Type of British Pounds, which is grayed out and cannot be changed. Why is this? As I said, I had set USD as its currency when importing its Account Info (and again when importing its transactions)?

HELP - I really need to get many years of data off Quicken and start Moneydance

1. 1 Posted by cslloyd on 09 May, 2009 03:54 AM

An extra: I noticed the thread on changing Account Type via XML. I wonder if I can correct the erroneous currency IDs this way. Problem is I have no list of valid currency IDs. Since writing the post above, I started over again, this time importing a USD account first. Then importing a GBP account after. It did, as expected the reverse of what I noted above. Now everything is in USD, including the accounts imported as British Pounds.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 11 May, 2009 06:56 PM

Hi

The import process from Quicken can be quite frustrating at times. I'm sorry this is causing you so much trouble. It is not possible to change the currency on an account once the account has transactions in it. Once there is a transaction in account the currency is fixed and the option to change the currency is greyed out.

If you have not already done so I recommend importing accounts in the two stage process described in the FAQ here:

http://help.infinitekind.com/faqs/frequently-asked-questions-2/how-can-i-transfer-my-data-from-quicken-or-money-into-moneydance

In the first stage ensure that you select "Import Account Info Only" and check that the currency is correct for the account before you import any transactions into it.

And then import the account data in as a second pass.

I am not sure if there would be problematic repercussions if you changed the currency type in the XML file. I believe that the option to change an accounts currency after it has transactions is disabled for a good reason. I'll check in with the developer and find out for sure.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 11 May, 2009 07:50 PM

Hello again

I spoke with the developer and he had this to say on the topic.

"yes, it is possible to change the currency [in the XML file]. However I would only do it if they were changing the currency to another currency with the same number of decimal places because MD keeps track of transaction values as the number of "cents". So changing an account with 1.00 USD to a Yen account would make it have 100 ¥. But 1.00 USD to 1.00 GBP would work just fine."

The list of currency IDs should already be in the XML file at the top. Having said this I strongly recommend sticking with the import process if you can get it to work. Editing an XML file by hand could easilly lead to a mistake that results in the file being corrupt.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

4. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 11 May, 2009 07:50 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

29 Oct, 2020 08:25 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:11 PM
29 Oct, 2020 08:00 PM