Navigating Files in Linux

waerola1

09 May, 2009 03:41 PM

Hello, I use Moneydance on several computers using a USB memory stick to store my data files on. I appreciate the flexibility of this application which allows me to open my files at work (running from the USB stick) and at home on laptops and desktops.

In Linux, when I open the dialog window to navigate to the USB location, the navigation is cumbersome. Sometime I have to double-click on a directory location several times, before it's changed in the location in the selection box. I sometimes find the same problem with editing a transaction line, where I have to click several times, before the transaction is selected.

When I use Windows, XP or Vista, the navigation is much quicker.

I assume this has something to do with the implementation or installation of java on Windows and Linux.

Do you have any suggestions on how to install java on an Ubuntu or Opensuse distribution to minimize the problem?

1. 1 Posted by joe on 09 May, 2009 04:36 PM

just FYI, I'm using linux (Suse 11) and have never had this problem.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 May, 2009 03:26 PM

Hello

I have noticed that with some operating systems Java applications do not use the double click time out specified by the mouse preferences. For example I am running ubuntu and the double click speed necessary for Moneydance to edit an existing transaction seems faster than with other applications. In some case the double click with java apps is unreasonably short.

This is a bug in java. However it is possible to change the java double click time in linux by editing a configuration file.

Edit /etc/X11/Xresources/x11-common and add the following line: *multiClickTime: 400

Save and then restart X

The 400 is in milliseconds you may want this number to be larger.

Let me know if this works for you.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 10 May, 2009 03:26 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac