List of Dividends for Securities

jp

13 May, 2009 01:24 AM

How do I generate a report that lists only dividends for a particular security?

1. 1 Posted by John Selden on 13 May, 2009 04:39 AM

I toyed around with this a little bit because I was curious. In order to do what you wanted, I used the Transactions report.

I got it to work, but with two caveats. First, I could only get it work for dividends that I reinvested (either with a DivReinvest transaction, or with a Div transaction followed by a Buy transaction). Only the reinvestment purchase shows a value in the Transactions report; a plain Div transaction shows a zero amount so it doesn't help. Second, it only worked where the description fields for the dividends transactions were (1) all the same and (2) different than all the other descriptions in the register.

With those caveats, here is what I did. In the Transactions report setup window, I chose the specific security that I wanted in the "Account" dropdown menu, and I chose "Subtotal by Payee" in the subtotal dropdown menu. Then I generated the report. For some reason, "Subtotal by Payee" causes the report to be subtotaled according to the Description (that is why the second caveat above is important).

I ended up with a report that broke out dividends, long term capital gains, and short term capital gains separately.

2. 2 Posted by Brian Adler on 22 May, 2009 08:07 PM

John, Thanks for this very simple/elegant solution!

3. Brian Adler closed this discussion on 22 May, 2009 08:07 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac