Personal financial software for Mac

Chuck

15 May, 2009 09:22 PM

I recently bot a Mac for my wife and am looking for personal financial software. I am having a pretty hard time finding a good one. Moneydance looks pretty good and gets good reviews, but my bank is not listed on the supported list. My bank says that I can export a checking account file in OFX and QFX format, in addition to CSV, XLS and QBO. Is this sufficient?

I was recently looking at Quicken online and was told that because my bank uses Multi-factor autentication, I could not download items. Will this be a problem in Moneydance also? I work on the perifery of the banking industry and definetly NOT in IT, but I think that MFA is becoming commonplace.

HELP

1. 1 Posted by John Selden on 15 May, 2009 11:56 PM

Outside of Quicken, Moneydance has the most extensive online functionality of any personal finance software on the Mac. So if that is important to you, you've come to the right place. However, if your bank is not supported by Quicken, I doubt Moneydance will support it either (as demonstrated by its absence from the list of supported institutions).

There is a forum here on the Moneydance site where you can request that banks be added to the supported list. Try requesting that your bank be added and see what happens.

2. 2 Posted by avp2 on 16 May, 2009 12:26 AM

I used Quicken on Mac from its first release until Quicken 2007and switched to MD last August. MD works pretty much the same as Q with regards to what it can do for account transfer i.e. if you can direct access with Q, you probably can with MD and vice versa.

If your bank is not on the list, but can export OFX or QFX, you can import into MD. You just do the download, then do the import.

MD does not have (yet anyway) as much reporting capability as Q, but it is faster at direct connect, has a less cluttered user interface, a great "home page" (overview) function, is really cross platform and the support is much quicker and personal.

3. 3 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 19 May, 2009 05:43 PM

If your bank supports direct OFX connections, which Moneydance (and other financial software) requires in order to talk directly to a bank, you will be able to use our direct connect functions. If not, you can download into QFX, OFX or OFC files (aka Quicken or MS Money files), any of which will import cleanly into Moneydance.

Would you please post a query that includes the name of your bank(s) under our "Financial Institution Direct Connection support requests" help category? We can then determine type of connection your financial institution permits, and add it to our supported institutions if possible.

Angie Rauscher Moneydance Support

4. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 19 May, 2009 05:43 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac