What is the best way to record a lease (loan)?

david luther

17 May, 2009 10:41 PM

I have an auto lease and I was curious if there was a better way to record this than by simply creating another standard loan account? Is there a feature in MD that will help keep track of the cap cost, residual value, or money factor of my lease? Thank you for any replys.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 May, 2009 09:18 PM

Hi David

Thats a good question. There is nothing built into the Moneydance software that can facilitate the tracking of a lease. The way I understand it a lease is not a loan. A lease does not involve you borrowing money from an institution and paying it back in installments at interest. And therefor should not be accounted for as a Loan (liability). I do not believe it is the case that you owe a chunk of money to your auto dealer, rather that you have agreed to pay them a fixed amount each month for a service (i.e. the use of their car) Therefor it is my belief that the lease payments should be accounted for as transactions to an expense category.

If I am incorrect in my understanding of the agreement you have with please forgive me and provide me with more information such that I might better assist you.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 21 May, 2009 09:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac