Mileage Expenses

Barry Gorrell

18 May, 2009 04:55 AM

What's the best way to handle mileage expenses in Moneydance?

For years I was user of Meca Software's "Managing Your Money" and they recommended creating a pair of mileage accounts, one to track "tax events" while the other off-set equity changes. Since both accounts were "expense" accounts a simple transaction from one to the other created a "tax event" without affecting equity. These transactions could then be saved as "recurring transactions".

It appears it's not possible to do direct expense to expense account transfers in Moneydance. If so, might one create an "Undeposited Funds" or even a "Mileage" Asset Account under which off-setting split transactions could be made? A pair of mileage expense accounts could be labeled something like "Medical Mileage Expense" and "Medical Mileage Adjuster"? The "Expense" partner account could track the "Tax Event" while it's mirror "Adjuster" account off set any equity change.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 May, 2009 02:33 PM

Hi Barry

It is possible to transfer from one expense account to another expense account. All categories are in fact accounts behind the interface. In order to make such a transaction you need to make a change to the preferences first. Select File->Preferences... and under the "General" tab check the box that says "Show All Accounts in Popup". This will add all of the expense and income categories/accounts to the main account selector in the top left of the main window. You can then select any of these expense accounts and the transaction register will be brought up for that account. From there you can add transactions to that register choosing another expense account as the category.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 21 May, 2009 02:33 PM.

3. Barry Gorrell re-opened this discussion on 23 May, 2009 05:28 PM

4. 2 Posted by Barry Gorrell on 23 May, 2009 05:28 PM

Thanks Ben. As a new user I'm finding Moneydance has more features and flexibilty than first meets the eye. Sorry I missed the explaination of "Show All Accounts in Popup" preference setting in the online user guide. That preference setting does indeed allow the functionality for which I was looking. Thanks to all the good folks at Monedance for bring such a great product to market!

One last comment... Any chance that the online guide could be made available as downloadable PDF file so new users like myself could print out a hard copy for reference off line?

5. 3 Posted by Angie Rauscher on 23 May, 2009 07:57 PM

Certainly! Here is a link to our PDF version of the help.

http://moneydance.com/download/doc/Moneydance%202008%20User%20Guide.pdf

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

6. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 23 May, 2009 07:57 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac