New Computer

Will Levine

31 Oct, 2015 06:06 PM

I am frustrated that there is not phone support for Moneydance. I am currently using version Moneydance 2010r3 (751) and will be getting a new computer. I would like to continue using Moneydance and my current account information on it. I have no idea how to migrate the program and information to the new computer. Please advise.

1. 1 Posted by -Kevin N. on 31 Oct, 2015 07:14 PM

Hi Will,

You can d/l MD 2010 from here:
    http://moneydance.com/download_2010

The last build of MD 2010 was build (757), a slightly newer build than the one you were using.

Install MD 2010 on your new machine. You can use your current License Key to register it.

Locate the MD 2010 data file on your former computer.
    It will be in the following format:
    filename.md
    filename will be the name that you gave to the data file.

Copy the filename.md data file from your former computer to your new one.
    You can likely use a flash drive to do so.
    Copy the file from the flash drive to the desired location on your new computer.
    e.g. somewhere in your 'Documents' folder.

When filename.md has been copied to your new machine, double-click it to open it.

That should do it.

HTH -Kevin N.

2. 2 Posted by Scott Meehan on 31 Oct, 2015 08:00 PM

Hi Will,

In addition to what Kevin N said, I'd like to add that your license key is for the 2008 version of Moneydance, which entitles you to use the 2008 and 2010 versions. The 2010 version can be downloaded from here:

http://moneydance.com/download_2010

Your license key also entitles you to a 50% discount off the latest version of Moneydance. If you'd prefer to upgrade and redeem this discount, you can go here:

http://infinitekind.com/purchase

and enter your license key in the "Upgrading?" box, and then follow the instructions from there to purchase your new discounted key.

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Will Levine on 31 Oct, 2015 09:39 PM

Hello Scott -

Thank you for your response. Do you advise to upgrade to the most recent version on my crew to laptop and then when I get the new iMac put it on there as well ?
    And if I do upgrade to the most recent version is there anything I should be aware of??

Sent from my iPhone

4. 4 Posted by Scott Meehan on 31 Oct, 2015 10:08 PM

Hi Will,

If you'd like to upgrade to the latest version, then it may be most convenient to do so now as it'll probably reduce any potential confusion during the migration process to the new computer. It's not a major difference, it may just reduce the number of steps in the process by one or two, so it's really up to you.

There are a number of fairly significant changes in Moneydance 2015 as compared to the version that you're using, however the interface remains generally the same functionally, so there's not much of a learning curve. You shouldn't encounter any trouble from upgrading.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by Will Levine on 01 Nov, 2015 04:01 AM

Hi Scott -

So i just upgraded to the 2015 and i have the instructions in front of me. My account is encrypted and it asks me to put in my password but it doesn’t allow me to type anything in the box. SO I’M STUCK. Can you advise me as to what i’m supposed to do. The directions say start Moneydance and select the Help-Register Moneydance. i do not get that option. so it does not give me anyplace to put the license key in.

Thank you.

Will Levine
    425 S. Cochran Avenue #101
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    323 933 2224
    323 428 9891 mobile

6. 6 Posted by Will Levine on 01 Nov, 2015 04:10 AM

DISREGARD LAST EMAIL.. I THINK WE’RE ALL GOOD.

Will Levine
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    323 933 2224
    323 428 9891 mobile

7. Jerome closed this discussion on 01 Nov, 2015 01:56 PM.

8. Will Levine re-opened this discussion on 23 Nov, 2015 06:32 PM

9. 7 Posted by Will Levine on 23 Nov, 2015 06:32 PM

Hello…
    Recently I upgraded my Moneydance program to the 2015 edition. Within a week I will be getting a new iMac and will want to transfer the data file over to the new computer.

I believe I can just go to the website and put in my license key to download the program on the new computer, correct?

What i cannot figure out is how to identify the data file on my current computer. A previous email from you said that i need to find the filename.md and (gee i never new how computer illiterate i was) put it on a flash drive then install on the new computer. I actually don’t know how to find the file and also… i don’t know what i would have named it? Would i actually have named it?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Best,

Will

Will Levine
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    323 933 2224
    323 428 9891 mobile

10. Support Staff 8 Posted by Tom Freeman on 29 Nov, 2015 09:11 PM

You can just download the program. You will have to renter your license key, cut and paste from the email you were sent on the upgrade.
    . Unless you moved the default location of your data file you can go to help > show document folder to open to where your data file is stored.

Also here is the FAQ: http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2015/where-is-my-data-st...

You also want to copy the whole folder when moving your data file.

Tom Freeman
    Infinite Kind Support

11. 9 Posted by Will Levine on 05 Dec, 2015 08:59 PM

Hello Tom or Scott or whomever -

Experiencing difficulty with downloading program onto my new iMac. I installed it and then i get a “Welcome to Moneydance” page with some options…
    It does not give me the options that was previously stated. I’m given Create a new act set or Import new act set. When i do this i get a new window that asks to create a new folder and to assign it a name. The info sent to me says that I need to go to Help and then Register Moneydance and then put my License Key in…. I do not get that menu option at all.

Please help.

Thank you.

Will

Will Levine
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    323 933 2224
    323 428 9891 mobile

12. 10 Posted by David Hanley on 05 Dec, 2015 10:16 PM

Hi Will,

You should be able to use the Open Other function located at the bottom of the right hand column to open your dataset. First off through, you'll need to move your dataset from your older machine to a location that it can be accessed from your new computer.
    To move your data set to your new computer, I'd recommend following these instructions:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2014/how-to-move-your-da...

to move your data set to a USB drive or your Dropbox folder (or whatever your preferred method is for sharing data between your two computers), then move your data set from there to your computer's hard drive and open it with Moneydance from there. I personally use and recommend the Dropbox folder for this purpose. If you move it to your Dropbox folder, it can be accessed from both of your computers (though not simultaneously).

Please let us know if we can be of further assistance!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

13. 11 Posted by Will Levine on 05 Dec, 2015 11:31 PM

Hello David,
    Thank you for your email. Still, I cannot access a screen to put in a license key. The “Open other Function just brings up another finder window. I truly have no idea what to do. I have put the data file on a flash drive tho… so once i can get into the program properly i think i know how to add that.

Will

14. 12 Posted by Will Levine on 05 Dec, 2015 11:37 PM

Part 2 -

Hello David -

So i was able to move the files over to the new computer. But I don’t really have the program downloaded. It’s in the download folder and not in the applications. i guess i can try moving the download icon onto the doc and application folder, and it definitely is the 2015 version, but i’ve never had to put my license key anywhere.

Thanks for your assistance

15. 13 Posted by Will Levine on 05 Dec, 2015 11:51 PM

David - I think we’re good. Thank you for your support!

Will

16. 14 Posted by David Hanley on 06 Dec, 2015 12:01 AM

Will,

Great to hear you're back up and running! If you've not figured it out yet, you cannot register until you've passed through the Welcome to Moneydance screen to the main Moneydance window. After that, you can use the following guide from our knowledge base on the subject if you need more illumination:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/purchasing-upgrading-license-keys-a...

Make sure that you've moved the moneydance.app file from your downloads folder to your Applications folder, if you mistakenly run it from the downloads folder it may not save your data between sessions!

Hope this helps, and feel free to contact me with any questions about this process!

David Hanley
    Infinite Kind Support

17. David Hanley closed this discussion on 06 Dec, 2015 12:01 AM.

18. Will Levine re-opened this discussion on 06 Dec, 2015 05:15 PM

19. 15 Posted by Will Levine on 06 Dec, 2015 05:15 PM

Darn… just tried to sign on this morning… I’m back to the same “Welcome to Moneydance” screen. Is there truly no phone support for the company? Truly don’t know what do to here again. I know I was logged in yesterday.

Thanks,

Will

20. 16 Posted by Will Levine on 06 Dec, 2015 05:26 PM

I put the file on a flash drive again and put it in the usb port. When i click on Money Dance in the doc it opens and asks for the encryption code and all is fine. just don’t know why the file has not been imported into the program. Please help. Thank you.

21. 17 Posted by Will Levine on 06 Dec, 2015 05:56 PM

So the file is now in my “documents” folder… but i still do not know how to get it into it’s correct place. when I click on the application it will open.. but i would prefer the file to not be in my documents folder. Sorry for all the issues.

22. 18 Posted by Scott Meehan on 07 Dec, 2015 03:36 PM

Hi Will,

There's not really a correct place for your data set to be, so it's fine if it stays in your Documents folder. If you want to move it, you can follow these instructions:

http://help.infinitekind.com/kb/moneydance-2015/where-is-my-data-st...

to locate your data set, then move it to your preferred location and open it with Moneydance from there.

If you were originally storing it on your flash drive and opening it with Moneydance from there, then if you removed your flash drive, that would cause Moneydance to be unable to open your data set and it would open to the Welcome screen.

Scott Meehan
    Infinite Kind Support

23. System closed this discussion on 19 Mar, 2016 05:02 AM.

24. Will Levine re-opened this discussion on 22 Nov, 2020 08:27 PM

25. 19 Posted by Will Levine on 22 Nov, 2020 08:27 PM

Hello.

Before I upgraded to MacOs Big Sur I wanted to check with you to see if it is compatible with Money Dance. is it safe to upgrade?

Thank you.

Will

Never be afraid to sit awhile and think!

Will Levine
    Los Angeles, CA 90036
    323 933 2224
    323 428 9891 mobile

26. Melissa closed this discussion on 23 Nov, 2020 11:18 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac