english version

jim_monkey

20 May, 2009 03:40 PM

please excuse my ignorance .. but im looking to purchase this piece of software and im wondering what the support is from the english side of things ie banks and markets.

1. 1 Posted by John Selden on 20 May, 2009 04:48 PM

No excuse necessary, this is a really good question that has been bounced around by many people. I don't know the answer from personal experience, but I believe Moneydance supports non-U.S. stock exchanges by adding a suffix to the ticker symbol. This comes from the Moneydance FAQs:

"To use a non-NYSE security listing, simply add the appropriate suffix to the end of the ticker symbol - for example, the Toronto exchange's suffix is ".TO" A full list of exchanges and their suffixes can be found here: http://finance.yahoo.com/exchanges"

As far as banks, I'm not really sure. Check the list of supported institutions and see if your bank is listed there. I would strongly recommend you try the free trial before buying it to see if if works for you. Welcome and good luck.

2. 2 Posted by Brian Adler on 20 May, 2009 05:51 PM

Jim, Until recently, it has seemed to be the case that non US institutions do not support direct ofx connections from their servers to 3rd party software. Moneydance has many non US users who simply download their transactions from their institution's website and then import the file. Several people have suggested that that may be changing (so that direct connections to non US banks are possible). We are actively exploring this.

The London Stock Exchange is supported via Yahoo Finance as John suggested by adding a ".L" to the ticker symbol.

3. 3 Posted by Graham Borland on 21 May, 2009 11:28 AM

Direct support for UK banks is practically non-existent. This is the banks' fault, not Moneydance's. Other financial software packages have attempted to work around the problem to some extent by capturing web login details and screen-scraping, with varying degrees of success.

We just need to hope that UK banks will get their collective act together in this respect.

4. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 20 Apr, 2010 02:12 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac