Editing memorized transactions

bruceinlouisville

29 May, 2016 02:31 AM

To start with -- I HATE adding a discussion unnecessarily, so I have scoured the user manual, FAQs, and other discussions, and still can't find an answer. So, sorry for adding to the pile, but I'm stuck.

I'm used to Quicken's memorized transactions, including autofill. As far as I can tell, Moneydance calls them "reminders," which seems odd to me, since I don't want to use them later -- I just want them to enter all the info as I start typing. But, nevertheless ...

It seems that Moneydance has memorized a whole slew of transactions from my initial online download, because whenever I start typing almost any payee, it comes up with one before I finish. Unfortunately, they are all caps, and often the wrong payee to boot.

So, I went looking for where to edit or delete them. After looking in the user manual and online and finding that there were no entries for "memorized transactions" but there were for "reminders," I went to the reminder screen to edit them. All I see there, though, is a blank calendar.

Bottom line -- I apparently have a ton of memorized transactions that are incorrect, and have no idea where to edit them.

Thoughts?

1. 1 Posted by bruceinlouisvil... on 29 May, 2016 02:57 AM

As an example -- I have a downloaded transaction to LOU WATER CO. I want to change it to Louisville Water Company, but as soon as I type Lo, it changes it to LOUISVILLE GAS & PAYMENT. There is nothing I can do to stop it from doing this. So, I need to edit the autofill (delete it, actually).

BUT, there are still going to be some transactions that I want to memorize and actually have Moneydance enter them for me.

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 29 May, 2016 08:12 AM

Hi I am not support, just a user, but you could try this.

Load the “Find and Replace” extension under “Extensions”, ”Manage Extensions”.
    Run “Find and Replace” under ”Extensions”
    In the left hand top ”Find” area tick “Free Text” and enter in your case “LOU WATER CO”
    Click “Find” and the bottom window should list all instances of “LOU WATER CO”. Make sure all the instances you won’t to change are ticked.
    In the right hand top “Replace” area tick “Description” and enter in your case “Louisville Water Company”
    Click “Replace”, you can yours “Replace All” when you are happy all is as you won’t.
    You should see the description in the bottom window change from “LOU WATER CO” to “Louisville Water Company”
    To confirm the change/changes click “Record”.
    Go back to your account register, the entries should have changed.

If you have set up reminders for “LOU WATER CO” then open the reminder and click on the up/down arrow in the description to change it to “Louisville Water Company”.

Hope this helps.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ethan on 29 May, 2016 02:58 PM

Hello,

What you describe doesn't seem to have much to do with the reminders function. Instead, you seem to be writing about the autofill, where Moneydance tries to complete information based on transactions you have previously entered in your account. This can affect the reminders, but is actually a separate issue. The above suggestion is a good way to try to undo this if you are getting a suggestion or spelling that you don't want. Since you are being suggested this entry in all caps, that means that there is at least one entry (probably more) written that way in your register already. The only way to correct this suggestion is to change the existing transactions, otherwise Moneydance will keep finding and suggesting them. I imagine if they are in all caps, this is likely from a bank download at some point, as banks often (unhelpfully) send their information in all caps.

Ethan
    Moneydance Support

4. 4 Posted by bruceinlouisvil... on 29 May, 2016 05:12 PM

Yes, autofill is the problem. I set it to be case-sensitive, which has helped. Now I'm going through the data and cleaning it up to be the way I want it.

I'm debating using a CSV download from the bank, instead of online banking, just to prevent having to do this again. I can write an Excel macro that would clean everything up (they also put the payee in the Memo field), then import it. Thanks for the help!

5. bruceinlouisville closed this discussion on 29 May, 2016 05:12 PM.

6. bruceinlouisville re-opened this discussion on 28 Jan, 2019 05:50 PM

7. 5 Posted by bruceinlouisvil... on 28 Jan, 2019 05:50 PM

OK, I've got another question on this. Since there seems to be no way to get Moneydance to stop autofilling any transaction from the past, is there a way to get it to stop adding splits and amounts?

I did a split yesterday with a purchase at the grocery store, and now MD wants to make every entry from that store a split transaction with the amounts from yesterday. I have to delete the splits, then change the amount. It's REALLY annoying.

8. 6 Posted by -Kevin N. on 28 Jan, 2019 09:00 PM

Hi bruceinlouisville,

To prevent Moneydance from re-creating the split transaction, try this...
    Enter the amount of the transaction first, then enter the name of the grocery store.

-Kevin N. (not a member of MD support)

9. bruceinlouisville closed this discussion on 28 Feb, 2019 04:14 PM.

10. bruceinlouisville re-opened this discussion on 08 Feb, 2020 11:21 PM

11. 7 Posted by bruceinlouisvil... on 08 Feb, 2020 11:21 PM

OK, one more comment on this.

I had a check for a certain vendor that I had to void. So, I wrote *VOID* at the end of that vendor name to let me know what happened to it.

Now, of course, whenever I enter that vendor, it autofills with the *VOID* and the zero amount and no category.

I understand that I have to go back to the other transaction, take out the *VOID* and figure out some other way to remind myself that it was voided.

My comment is just to note that it would be MUCH MORE HELPFUL if Moneydance kept a list of autofill/memorized transactions that could be edited. And, that we could tell it "memorize this vendor and category" or "memorize this entire transaction."

Thanks for listening.

12. 8 Posted by dtd on 08 Feb, 2020 11:40 PM

Good comment. I have learned from this, and agree with your recommendation for a future update.

13. 9 Posted by dwg on 09 Feb, 2020 01:05 AM

Instead of putting VOID at the end of the description try put it at the start.

14. 10 Posted by jimrh on 03 Apr, 2020 03:43 PM

What?!!!

IMHO, a "memorized" transaction should be the most common form of that particular transaction. (i.e. The way the transaction will occur 99.999% of the time).

With this said, the occasional "exceptional" form of the transaction will require editing of the transaction - but that edit should NOT modify the memorized version. (i.e. The occasional transaction that has a split, or needs an explanatory note.)

This, along with fixing compliance with the OFX standard, (https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/discussions/general-questions/96...), should be priorities for the next point release.

Thanks!

15. bruceinlouisville closed this discussion on 04 May, 2020 07:34 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac