The next version of Moneydance (It WILL happen)
The next version of Moneydance is in progress. I'm 'just a user/tester' but thought I'd do a totally unofficial opinion poll.
Given MD is at a pivot point, which would you prefer? A new preview with what's been done in the last year, or wait to get a preview with more improvements to make it a worthwhile upgrade? Both are being considered, I won't state Sean's opinion.
Also, even at the earliest, we are talking September or later, should the new release be 2026 or 2027?
I have no decision power here - I'm just curious as to what other users think.
Keyboard shortcuts
Generic
| ? | Show this help |
|---|---|
| ESC | Blurs the current field |
Comment Form
| r | Focus the comment reply box |
|---|---|
| ^ + ↩ | Submit the comment |
You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac
1 Posted by tonyt on 09 Aug, 2026 09:35 AM
Wait!
2 Posted by LarryCL on 09 Aug, 2026 01:04 PM
Current software development best practices recommend leveraging iterative and incremental development; eg release early and release often. Let end users get a hand on the software and provide feedback early in the process. Let the users (eg, PAYING CUSTOMERS) prioritize what's coming next, not Sean. (with all due respect to Sean).
Plus this would have the business benefit of actually showing that Moneydance (both the software and the company) are currently alive, active, and viable.
The alternative, infrequent big-bang releases, aka waterfall development, has been shown time and time again to have numerous drawbacks as compared to releasing with smaller milestones. You end up designing for what you THINK your users want, rather than what they REALLY want.
3 Posted by Ali on 09 Aug, 2026 07:04 PM
+1 to what LarryCL said.
4 Posted by msumick on 11 Aug, 2026 05:53 PM
Sooner, especially if it has investment transaction merge. Waiting forever to get updated capabilities is not ideal. Given we are in an AI added development world, the slow pace of development makes little sense. I will have to pay for the next full release, and I would still like to see it sooner, even with less features.
5 Posted by Greg on 11 Aug, 2026 06:44 PM
+1 to LarrCL, Ali, and msumick
6 Posted by tonyt on 11 Aug, 2026 07:42 PM
If you release early and often with minor improvements does that affect the current pricing structure? Would an upgrade be considered worth charging for it was only a minor one? Yearly subscription model?
7 Posted by dtd on 11 Aug, 2026 08:47 PM
No change to charging structure - once THE release happens say 2026 or 2027 - all .1, .2 , .3 releases are included until Sean decides the next big release is due. - the last few years (if released at all - no 2025) ended with 2024.4, 2023.3, 2022.6, 2021.1, 2020.2, 2017.10...
I am not associated with IK/MD - my answer is as a long term user.
8 Posted by dtd on 11 Aug, 2026 10:25 PM
Information (no new reveals) of where the next version of MD currently is. These are my views based on what I've read in the forum and tested. It should not be construed as anything related to the views of IK/Md.
The current alpha (5504) has a lot of bug fixes (and no, as always, your pet peeve bug is probably not one of them, nor mine.) Improvements to the security matching list (known as the none of the above issue), and a significant change to most reports, their accuracy, flexibility, and export of the data to other programs. As a tester, I believe it would be fairly quick to turn into a preview, so users could look at it without building a test environment.
from Sean: (April 2026)
As for a roadmap, here are the most important Moneydance things (in my opinion) that I am working on:
UK & EU Online Banking
A new budgeting system
Meeting (or rather proving) Fidelity/Plaid agreement requirements
Preparing (read: bug fixing) new Android app
Investment transaction merging (seriously!)
Dealing with random issues that are brought up by customers
I'm sorry I can't give you a timeline for any of these. If I did it would be a made-up guess. The best I can say is that these will all be released when they are finished.
9 Posted by jimmyjoebobaloo... on 11 Aug, 2026 10:46 PM
I'm fine with an interim release in Sep '26 and a more complete release in '27.
10 Posted by infinitekind.mo... on 12 Aug, 2026 01:33 PM
+1 to what LarryCL said.
Software with higher frequency updates give the users a far higher sense of being actively developed, supported and loved.
I came to this forum today to get a feel for the future of MD because I am worried that a software I enjoy and use a few times a week is potentially being deprecated (ie. no updates have been forthcoming for quite some time).
11 Posted by steven_geraghty on 18 Aug, 2026 01:46 AM
+1 to what LarryCL said.
I was starting to wonder if MD had been abandoned, given that it's been 18 months since the last release (or even a preview)
Support Staff 12 Posted by Sean Reilly on 18 Aug, 2026 02:12 AM
Hi all,
If it helps, you can see the pre-preview (aka alpha) builds at this link:
https://infinitekind.com/prepreview
There is a new update as of today, if you're adventurous. I don't do release notes for the prepreviews, but as soon as I'm ready to do a regular preview release there will be a list of features and fixes available.
Thanks,
Sean
--
Sean Reilly
Developer, The Infinite Kind
https://infinitekind.com
13 Posted by dwg on 18 Aug, 2026 02:43 AM
The testers have been progressively installing new Alpha releases as they become available (not on live data but in a test environment), this build has been installed and is running On Windows, Linux and macOS. As we find bugs they are reported back to Sean, so the last couple of Alpha builds have largely been bug fix releases.
The main thing I am seeing in this version at the moment is heavily revised and some new reports. I do not think there are many reports that have not been touched. Hopefully the long term issues that have been seen in some reports are now history.
The most useful new report, I think, is the Balances over Time report.
14 Posted by Ben on 18 Aug, 2026 12:57 PM
I'd like an upgrade, especially as I think it would be free for me as a purchaser of v2024. I'm keen to have those improved reports and interested in the new ones. I don't want to use alphas, betas or previews to manage my finances. I'd imagine that a new release now, nominally Moneydance 2027, would allow a succession of more frequent dot releases, which might reassure users who fear Moneydance stalling or being abandoned. Yes, that might mean that a later improvement that's really important to some users appears as a dot release in 2026/2027, but there's nothing wrong with that (unless it'd be incompatible with the existing file format or something).
15 Posted by dtd on 18 Aug, 2026 03:35 PM
As always, Sean will decide, but given Ben's post/query, I'm curious as to feelings about the following from the first post:
... even at the earliest, we are talking September or later, should the new release be 2026 or 2027?
16 Posted by dtd on 18 Aug, 2026 03:37 PM
@Ben - as a purchaser of 2024, the next upgrade will be free. 2023 or earlier purchases will be able to upgrade at half price by entering their license code in the upgrade area (there is NO requirement to upgrade, they can stay with their current version)
17 Posted by tonyt on 18 Aug, 2026 03:47 PM
dwg
Along with improved reports and view as pdf from what I understand on a Mac, is there any sort of report organisation? Folders? Or?
Cheers...
18 Posted by dwg on 18 Aug, 2026 10:05 PM
Tony,
Nothing has changed on that front, it is the reports themselves that have seen the improvements.
19 Posted by tonyt on 19 Aug, 2026 05:36 AM
Thanks dwg
Shame!
20 Posted by peter3 on 25 Aug, 2026 10:34 AM
Just out of interest I had a look at the pre-preview and, apart from the reports etc, I didn't notice much change and everything I normally do worked perfectly.
If anyone is considering a view of the pre-preview her is how I did it:
I already have MD installed on two iMacs (Tahoe) synced with Dropbox Connection so on number 2 I stopped syncing and on number 1 I installed the pre-preview allowing it to replace the existing latest stable version.
Having completed my mini test I downloaded and installed the latest stable version allowing it to replace the pre-preview version on number 1 and it installed perfectly. After resetting sync on number 2 all was back as it was before.
21 Posted by dtd on 31 Aug, 2026 06:24 AM
Version 5508 looks pretty safe, usage wise. I'm using my live data on it as of this version. I cannot recommend others do the same, but I made this as a personal decision. (Just with more backups, in case.) Still a statement on progress.
22 Posted by dbronstein88 on 05 Sep, 2026 07:01 PM
I would prefer an earlier release with less stuff.
23 Posted by dtd on 06 Sep, 2026 12:53 AM
2027.0(5510) is released. Still an alpha, but working quite well.
Yes, 2027, which makes sense to me.
24 Posted by Jens on 06 Sep, 2026 03:47 PM
Without any more details about the state of the alpha / preprepreview it's hard to vote on this. I don't feel comfortable doing my actual finances with such a version, and currently do not have the capacity to do much testing in a different environment.
I'd vote for for earlier rather than later though, for reasons mentioned throughout this thread (release earlier, often).
My main interests would be:
(not exactly sure what this is, but Plaid is a pain, as no-one seems to ever know why something is not, or stopped working.)
It's after all good to hear that something is in the works after such a long time of update stagnation.
Jens
25 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Sep, 2026 09:45 AM
I am not support staff, just a user.
Hi
I looks like the current Alpha build is about to be released to both the Beta channel and as a public release.
Have Fun Stay Safe.
26 Posted by derekkent23 on 07 Sep, 2026 10:27 AM
I am not support staff, just a user.
Hi
Sorry to make it clear it’s the Android app that’s being released not the computer app.
Have Fun Stay Safe.
27 Posted by dtd on 07 Sep, 2026 04:34 PM
ALPHA 2027(5511) has been released - things are moving.
28 Posted by Jens on 08 Sep, 2026 10:08 AM
Great!
What exactly is this "pivot point"?
Thanks,
Jens