Expense report on credit card

Scott

31 Jul, 2009 11:48 PM

Simple question, but I can't see how to do it: I'd like to get an expense report on a credit card account rather than a bank account. The CC is set up as a liability, as advised in the help file. The expense report only allows you to select an "account", which is a type of asset. As the majority of my spending is on a credit card, this is a bit of a problem. Am I missing something?

1. 1 Posted by Paul on 03 Aug, 2009 04:22 PM

Scott,

I am just another Moneydance user but my understanding is that expense (and income) accounts are independent of the actual bank or credit card accounts (in this case). You can create expense accounts for anything via categories and anytime that you spend something with your credit card, simply categorize it properly. My understanding is that regardless of what physical account the money is coming from (bank, credit, cash, etc.) it can go into any one of the expense accounts/categories that you have created.

Hopefully that is helpful.

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Aug, 2009 05:23 PM

Hi Scott

You are correct, the expense graph allows you to restrict the account that the expenses came from and liability accounts are not presented as options for this report. I am afraid the help file must be out of date. I would recommend using an account of type "Credit Card" for credit card transactions. It is not possible to change the account type once it has been created however there is an alternative solution, You can create a new CC account and batch change all the transactions into it.

Create a new account and set the Type to credit card.

Click on your existing liability account on the home page to bring up the transaction register.

Press command-A (mac) ctrl-A (Windows) to select all the transactions.

Right click on the selected transactions and select Batch Change->Account

Select the new Credit card account.

Click OK.

Click Yes.

You should then be able to run an expense graph on the transaction in the cc account.

I am sorry for the outdated help file.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. 3 Posted by Scott on 03 Aug, 2009 08:50 PM

Thanks Ben, that looks like the solution. It's an old account, and it wasn't set up to be a credit card - I think that this account type was introduced after I'd created the account. Certainly a new credit card account does allow me to graph expenses.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:58 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM