Unsplitting

Robert K. Tompsett

03 Aug, 2009 01:40 AM

I found a Split situation that I seemed to of worked out, but a little off beat . As I entered a transaction, the Amount kept popping in with the split from a prior purchase. To put in my new entry I had to clear my first attempt then enter the $ amount and category, ring it up, then go back and enter the store name. This sort of "kicked" out of the split mode.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Aug, 2009 02:24 PM

Hi

I am afraid I do not fully understand the situation you are describing. There is a known bug where by if you press the shortcut key (ctrl-L windows, command-L mac) to enter a split while you are not in the edit mode for the transaction you do not get the split window for that transaction. Is perhaps you are experiencing this bug. If that is not the case and you are experiencing something else, is the problem reproducible? Could you give me step by step instructions on how to reproduce the problem such that I can diagnose the bug and get it fixed.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by Robert K. Tomps... on 03 Aug, 2009 06:29 PM

Re: Unsplitting [Questions]

3. 3 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Aug, 2009 06:37 PM

I am sorry but your last post does not seem to contain any text. Would you please post again.

Ben

4. 4 Posted by Robert K. Tomps... on 03 Aug, 2009 07:22 PM

Sorry I tried replying through the email

Ok, Let me try this. The last time I made a transaction at Target - the payee, I split the categories. This time as I entered a single transaction for Target, it "remembered" that I had made a previous transaction entry and was popping up the previous split window over top of where I really wanted to enter the single purchase amount preventing me from entering. To get around this problem I had to start the new transaction fresh with the dollar amount entered first before I could enter the payee (Target). This then avoided the split from the previous transaction from popping up.

--

5. 5 Posted by Ben Spencer on 03 Aug, 2009 08:52 PM

Hi

I believe I know what is going on here. When you start entering into the description box a new description Moneydance will offer previous transactions that match the same description as the one you are currently entering. If you select one of the previous descriptions you are indicating to moneydance that this is a repeat payment and moneydance will copy the amount and category information form the previous entry into the current entry. If you do not want this to happen you have 2 options.

Firstly do not select the suggestion Moneydance is making for a repeat transaction. For example if the description in the previous entry was "Target Store" Type out fully "Target Store" in the description of the new transaction. Do not press enter when moneydance offer an auto complete selection.

Alternatively you could create an entry for target in the address book. Select Address Book from the tools menu. Click the add button and give it the name Target. Then when you enter a description with the name target click the little up/down arrow to the right of the description after you have started typing and select the description "@Target" entries in the address book are displayed with a little green @ symbol at the beginning. Such a selection will not automatically set the category/split or amount of a previous purchase.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

6. 6 Posted by Robert K. Tomps... on 08 Aug, 2009 07:30 PM

Ben,

Having been using Linux Ubuntu for about 2 months now, I've been using Moneydance solely now for a month and so far it has performed splendidly to the point that I no longer have Quicken installed. Moneydance was the program that I finally needed to break away from Microsoft. I still have a lot to learn here, but I love it. Thanks.

7. 7 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Aug, 2009 06:36 PM

Thanks for the positive feedback!

Would you be willing to give your permission for me to quote you on our web site here:

http://moneydance.com/raves

If you are willing may I have your full name for the quote?

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

8. 8 Posted by Robert K. Tomps... on 10 Aug, 2009 07:20 PM

9. 9 Posted by Robert K. Tomps... on 10 Aug, 2009 07:21 PM

10. 10 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Aug, 2009 07:25 PM

For some unknown reason you post does not seem to contain any data. Would you mind posting again.

Ben

11. 11 Posted by Robert K. Tomps... on 10 Aug, 2009 07:35 PM

Sorry about that. I have this nasty habit of trying to reply back through the email side when I get your message .

You most certainly can use my quote on the web site.

Robert K. Tompsett
    Paw Paw, Michigan

12. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 01 Feb, 2010 05:17 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

18 Jan, 2021 12:26 AM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM
17 Jan, 2021 11:08 PM