How best to apply categories?

rmschne

06 Aug, 2009 07:35 PM

I have a lot of transactions to categorize (Money emigrant). Is there a way to do a bulk categorisation based on the description of the transaction? And can Moneydance be setup to recognise the categories of a transaction on input, say manually or from online download?

1. 1 Posted by Brian Adler on 07 Aug, 2009 08:24 PM

Over time Moneydance learns the proper category of a transaction. So after you have manually categorized a certain type of transaction for awhile, Moneydance will adapt, and default to what it thinks is the likely category.

You can search for all the transactions that have a certain description in common and then shift/select them all and then right/click batch change -> category and thereby change the category of every transaction of a certain description.

Brian

2. 2 Posted by Brian Adler on 07 Aug, 2009 08:26 PM

I failed to notice that you are importing from MSM. If you select "from another program" when importing, Moneydance will use the categories in the qif file.

Brian

3. 3 Posted by rmschne on 07 Aug, 2009 08:29 PM

Cool!! Perfect! (the first approach).

While i am indeed a Money emigrant, I starting from scratch with getting the transactions from the bank.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac