Potential User - question about tracking/reporting

Christine

06 Aug, 2009 08:36 PM

Hi,

I am searching for a program that can help me keep track of (and report) my business expenses in several ways, and need to know if MoneyDance can do so the way I need. (I've test-driven others, and just want to cut right to the chase this time before I even bother downloading the Trial Version.)

I have a loan-out corporation which gets paid, and then pays me, from various sources (projects). I need to report income/expense via each project (approximately 12 projects a year) so I know how much each project actually earned after its related expenses (main categories and sub-category totals). I also need a general report which shows how much was earned/spent overall total, by category, including sub-totals of sub-categories, and by project.

Can MoneyDance breakdown reports as follows:

1A.) Overall Totals of Main Categories

- with subtotals of subcategories
  - and showing corresponding project that incurred expense.

1B.) Overall Totals of Main Categories

- with subtotals of each project

2.) Overall Totals by Project

- with totals of categories
- and subtotals of sub-categories

Some of the main categories have overlapping sub-categories. For instance, I have a main category for Travel expenses that are incurred while actually working specifically on a job (that cuts directly into the gross pay); yet I have travel expenses that are related with promoting past projects (Promotion/Marketing is one my main categories in which some travel expenses are a sub-category); I also have travel expenses that are related with researching and developing projects for the future, some realized some not (Research/Development is also a main category, in which travel is a sub-category). Some of these Promotion or Developing travel expenses will be associated with a current job some will not. Besides having main category totals and sub-totals (and corresponding project), I need overall totals of all travel expenses (via project and reason) -- even if some travel expense are a main category and some are a sub-category expense. Can MoneyDance also do this?

Also, I would love to keep track of time spent on project and of receipts. Does MW do this as well?

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 07 Aug, 2009 08:51 PM

Hi Christine

I would love to say yes and I actually think Moneydance is going to fall short of your requirements. Moneydance has a tagging feature that allows you to apply 1 or more tags to a particular transaction which can be used to group transactions by project. Currently the only report that makes use of the tags field is the transaction report. Therefor it is not currently possible to run an income and expense report and filter it by tag for a particular project. We are working on Moneydance 2010 which will be out before the end of 2009 and we intend to make filtering by tag available in all reports in that release. If you do not have an intermediate need to start using a new piece of finance management software you may well find that what we are working on for the next release meets your needs.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 06:51 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:58 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM