importing investment accounts

Don Cerise

16 Aug, 2009 12:55 AM

I am using Moneydance on a trial basis on mac. I would like to import investment information from vanguard and other investment companies. This is my first attempt at tracking personal finance, so I do not have Quicken or Money. How do I go about importing that investment account information?

Thanks for your help.

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Aug, 2009 03:22 PM

Hi Don

I am sorry for the late reply.

Before you import your transaction data you must first create a investment account within Moneydance to receive the transactions. Select Account->"New Account" and set the type to investment.

There are two ways to import transaction information into Moneydance. The first is called "web connect". This simply involves going to you Financial Institutions web site using a browser and downloading a transactions file. Supported file formats include QIF, OFX and OFC. Once you have the file you can select Import from the file menu within Moneydance and select the file that you downloaded. Moneydance will ask you which account you want to import the data into and you should select the investment account you created.

Alternatively you can do what is called "direct connect" where Moneydance will connect directly to the Vanguard servers so you don't have to download a file. To do this create the investment account as before. Select the investment account on the home page by clicking on it. Then click on the green Online button/menu and select "Set up online banking". Click "new connection" and select "Vanguard Group". You will be prompted for your log in credentials. You may need to contact Vanguard to get these. Once you have direct connect set up you can just select "Download Transactions" from the Online menu button.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 06:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:36 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM