How do YOU use tags?

Joe

16 Aug, 2009 10:30 PM

I'm just curious how people here use tags. I've been using MD for over a year and haven't felt the need to add tags to anything. If someone can post real-life examples of what they use tags for, maybe I'll realize what I've been missing! I guess I just don't see the need to use tags when categories gets me what I need. Thanks.

1. 1 Posted by Paul on 17 Aug, 2009 08:31 PM

I very common way that I use them is:

I have categories for food, drinks, gas, taxi, etc.

When I go on a vacation (ex. a road trip to another city) I will categorize all my expenses such as food, drinks, taxi rides, gas.etc. just the same as I would for normal everyday expenses incurred at home. However, I would also tag all those expenses during the vacation with "VAC - Month, Year" for example, so that I can easily make an expenses report (transaction report) filtered by tag and see how much the vacation actually cost in total.

The above would be simply one example and it will really be a much better tool once the next version of MD is released that allows tags to be used everywhere that categories are.

Hope that helps.

Paul

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 21 Aug, 2009 02:33 PM

Hi Joe

I use tags where ever I want to store more information about a transaction than I can with a single category. For example I might have an account that 2 people make charges on (my wife and myself). In such a case I would create a tag for myself and a tag for the other account holder. I would categorize the transactions normally and additionally tag them with who made the purchase. One of the other advantages of tags is that I can put more than one tags on a single transaction. (Rather like labels n Gmail) So for example if I bought groceries while on vacation and I was interested in storing all of that information. I would categorize the transaction as Groceries and tag it with my name and the name of the vacation.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. Angie Rauscher closed this discussion on 24 Jul, 2011 06:52 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

27 Jan, 2021 10:58 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:37 AM
27 Jan, 2021 10:09 AM