how to Uninstall in Ubuntu 8.04 after trial period

lkraemer

10 Sep, 2009 01:49 AM

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 (LTS) and I want to try Moneydance. After the trial, if I am for some reason
unsatisfied, what is the proper procedure to uninstall Moneydance? (I have Java installed and I will
be using the script without Java attached.) Searches of the FAQ and Discussion find no information
about the uninstall process for Linux.

lk

1. 1 Posted by lkraemer on 10 Sep, 2009 02:07 AM

On second thought, I checked and Java is NOT installed. So, Which file do I install?
    There are two versions with Java attached. And after the trial, what procedure
    would be used to un-install? Is there a script, to purge all the files/folders that
    were installed?

lk

2. 2 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Sep, 2009 06:42 PM

Hi Larry

Being a java application Moneydance is relatively self contained. All data related to moneydance will be stored in only 2 folders. There is the moneydance directory which contains the applcation and the is a hidden folder in your users home folder called .moneydance. Deleting these two folders will completely remove the application from your system.

My recommendation for installing Moneydance on ubuntu 8.04 is to install the latest version of java from sun using the synaptic package manager. The package name is "sun-java6-jre" without the quotes. And then download Moneydance from here:

http://moneydance.com/other

Clicking on the link that says "Linux (x86 processor, does not include Java)"

I recall there being some incompatibility problems between java and compiz fusion in ubuntu 8.04. This resulted in some popup windows occasionally being blank. This sun fixed this in later releases of java and I am not sure if the fix got back ported to 8.04. If you experience this problem turning off desktop special effects resolves the issue.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

3. Raimund Buchholz closed this discussion on 31 Jan, 2010 11:21 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac