Some securities do not update price, why?

Francois

10 Sep, 2009 05:32 PM

Hi, I'm running on the free version to try the capability of the investment tracking accounts.
Most of the securities price will update correctly with the Yahoo extension.
But two of them doesn't respond. I have check and re-check on the yahoo.finance site and the tickers are really there.
The 2 tickers are from Toronto Stock exchange: cjr-b.to and sjr-b.to
Is the problem could come from Yahoo side?

1. 1 Posted by Ben Spencer on 10 Sep, 2009 06:27 PM

Hi Francois

The set of data that yahoo makes available for display on its web site seems to be slightly more complete that the set of data yahoo makes available for download. There is a particular service that yahoo provides such that if we send them a correctly formatted url containing the ticker symbol, they send back the appropriate table of price information. For example if we wanted price informational Google we use the following url to get the table from yahoo

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=goog&d=3&e=16&a...

Testing that url with the symbols that your require information on results in a not found error coming back from the yahoo servers, e.g:

http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=cjr-b.to&d=3&e=...

I realize this is frustrating. We know yahoo have the information on the symbols you want and it is not clear why they do not make it available for download. We have seen tis before with a limited number of symbols and currently there is nothing we can do to fix this. However we are investigating a more generalized solution for downloading price information that can be pointed at a variety of sources.

I am sorry for the inconvenience this is causing you.

Sincerely

Ben Spencer

2. 2 Posted by Francois on 10 Sep, 2009 07:59 PM

Thanks Ben, at least I will stop to look on my side!

3. Ben Spencer closed this discussion on 11 Feb, 2010 07:14 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac