Deleting "parent account" set up by icon on left

bjb5

25 Jan, 2020 06:51 PM

Done with Banktivity, new to Moneydance, attempting set-up:
clicked on icon on the very top left, ended up with a not main account now showing in upper left corner as "parent account" or "base"

The problem is not within the account bar, but in the very top left corner within the up/down toggle on the bank icon where to the right it reads "base",

Have since found proper way to set up accounts, but how to delete "parent account" or "base" account as it doesn't show up in format referred to in help section.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 25 Jan, 2020 07:25 PM

Hello,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding what you're describing. Could you attach some screenshots of the area you are referring to? If you're not sure how to take a screenshot, please see http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

You should be able to edit any account name by clicking on it where it is listed in your left sidebar to open that account register, then go to Account -> Edit Account from the menubar. The topmost level of all accounts in the area I think you are describing should be the name of your data file itself. Is your data file named "base?"

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 25 Jan, 2020 08:06 PM

I'm a fellow user.

The Base Account should show as the name of your Data Set, i.e. the name you give when you create a new file through the File --> New command

This is the container for all your accounts within this data set. Hence if from the pull down you select one account it shows the register for that account, if you choose the base it shows the summary page.

3. 3 Posted by bjb5 on 16 Feb, 2020 05:48 AM

HI, Thanks for responding, and sorry it’s taken so long for me to reply, got taxes done, now back to setting up new accounts. See the screen shot, it's the very top left of the page. Whatever its purpose, it needs to be renamed, so how can I do that, or start all over again?

Second question, related to it, I’m not quite understanding the purpose/or use of the “base”? I have two primary checking accounts and one savings account I want to set up that function together, so need to know how the “base” functions.

Thanks to both of you! BB

Second

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 16 Feb, 2020 06:11 AM

Hello,

As dwg correctly explained in his post, that top field of the dropdown in your screenshot is the base name of your accounts. This can be changed by renaming your Moneydance data file: https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/re...

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. 5 Posted by dwg on 16 Feb, 2020 06:28 AM

I'm a fellow user.

To explain a little further "Mike Prov Savings" is the base, it is the name of the container that houses all of your data. In other words it is the base folder and all of your data for the set of accounts it contains is in the sub-folders and files that exist under this - Moneydance data does not live in a single file. Moneydance also uses this name as the name of your data set.

So Base = Data Set Name = Name of container/folder/directory that contains all of your data,

The following article shows one method of changing the name of the Base i.e. changing the name of your data set.

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/renaming-files

6. 6 Posted by bjb5 on 16 Feb, 2020 02:45 PM

Thanks! that’s what I figured. Now I need to know how to change the name, or delete this account to set up a new one with appropriate name.From what you’ve written before, sounds like I could go to file and set up another one and ignore this one, though would like to delete it.

7. 7 Posted by bjb5 on 16 Feb, 2020 02:47 PM

Also thanks for support, just found the 2 previous posts-will continue to learn, much appreciation!Also for very quick response!

8. 8 Posted by bjb5 on 16 Feb, 2020 03:17 PM

Help → Show Documents Folder

This took me to selection of help topics
    Did this a few different ways and got no data/file found or some such message.
    Need to go do other things, will come back to it later, Thanks

9. 9 Posted by bjb5 on 16 Feb, 2020 03:25 PM

I just saw how to set up a new file, so did so and problem solved. Just closed and open MD and appropriate home page came up. Thank You for support.

10. 10 Posted by dwg on 16 Feb, 2020 08:34 PM

Hmm Help -> Show Documents folder should give you a window showing the contents of this folder so for an example on Windows it will open an explorer window at this location.

11. System closed this discussion on 17 May, 2020 08:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac