creating a new file for a new year's data.

Gerry

14 Feb, 2020 04:45 PM

I would like to have a yearly file of data. The one and only back up file I have is slow. I think there is too much data on it from previous years. And after I do this, I want to upgrade from vs 2017.6 (1656).

Thank you gerry

1. 1 Posted by dwg on 14 Feb, 2020 08:48 PM

I'm a fellow user.

It is not possible to archive data in Moneydance.

This feature was removed in one of the Moneydance 2015 releases. It really was problematic especially where Investment accounts were involved where you cannot arbitrarily archive before a certain date since those investments can still be active. You cannot just exclude investment accounts either since they often involve transfers between accounts and with Moneydance being built on double entry accounting principles if you remove one side of the transaction you must remove the other side.

Furthermore in newer versions of Moneydance it was found that pretty much everyone was using it as a way to reduce the size of their file. The problem is that because of Moneydance's method of recording transaction/change logs for every change it would have the opposite effect.

You are running a very old release of Moneydance 2017. The last release was 2017.10. This is available from:

https://infinitekind.com/download_2017

This version should offer some improvement.

In Moneydance 2019 further improvements have been made in handling data with the result that less space is used. Moneydance 2019 is a free upgrade for those that purchased Moneydance 2017 and at a 50% discount if you purchased an earlier release by using the upgrade field on:

https://infinitekind.com/purchase

2. 2 Posted by Geraldine Ruddu... on 14 Feb, 2020 09:40 PM

Thank you so much for your information. I really appreciate it. It has saved me a lot of frustration and feeling dumb when I thought certainly there must be a way to do this if only I were reading all the tech info correctly. I will do the upgrade with an easy mind.

3. 3 Posted by dwg on 14 Feb, 2020 09:49 PM

It you feel you are seeing too much data in the registers then it is suggested you use the filters at the top to limit the amount of data displayed.

With todays systems there should not be any great issues with handling a reasonable volume of data. Most of my accounts in Moneydance go back at lest 20 years and some Investments go back 35+

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac