Moneydance File Size

dtd

17 Feb, 2020 09:37 PM

Well, I have converted and am using MD now. I was satisfied with a 250mb file given 35 years of data.

However, in the last week, it has grown about 8mb in size (3%). That's fairly significant growth, imo, for one week.

Is this just startup growth, or is this normal?

1. 1 Posted by dtd on 18 Feb, 2020 05:07 AM

Waves at dwg - this got buried quick!

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 18 Feb, 2020 05:46 AM

I do have a bigger shovel.

Growth is very much dependent on activity. Versions of Moneydance prior to 2015 worked as do many applications you write some new data it adds to the file, you delete something it deletes if from the file, you modify something it goes and modifies that data.

That all changed in the 2015 version when the entire file structure change and the ability to sync files was introduced. The new model is more like that of a database. So new data, modifications, deletions etc are all written as new records, old records are not changed. The model also sees this data written as small transaction files (TXN) before they are incorporated into the trunk file. The small TXN files are very suitable for the syncing function. Given how file space is allocated you will often see these files consume more space then they really use.

Moneydance will incorporate the file into the trunk file pretty frequently but they also need to remain as the TXN files for some time to facilitate syncing. So I do expect the space used to grow for some time, there is no evidence that the file structure slows Moneydance down at all.

Given the way the Moneydance file architecture works I suggest if you want to try something out you so on a copy that has gone through the back up and restore process.

3. 3 Posted by dtd on 18 Feb, 2020 07:02 AM

Given the way the Moneydance file architecture works I suggest if you want to try something out you so on a copy that has gone through the back up and restore process.

What will I be testing? Does MD collapse the TXN structure at some point? (I don't sync yet but I will) I'm always willing to test things, but don't quite know what I will be testing about file growth vs. sync.

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 18 Feb, 2020 07:33 AM

I meant if you want to test something in general, like category restructuring for example I would do that on a test file so that I can delete it at the end. I also test things like new ways of structuring transactions to see if they work better. It is always good practice to do this on a test file but even more so when when doing changes and undoing then can lead to extra space used.

I do not use syncing for long enough periods to see how it handles the TXN files in the longer term.

5. 5 Posted by dtd on 14 Apr, 2020 11:58 PM

Reporting back about two months later.

I am also now syncing between two desktops and my ipad, so the TXN files are important.

Still, the file size has gone from 250mb to 360mb in 8 weeks. As I mentioned the 250mb represents 35 years of data, while the 44% growth is two months. I understand the database bit, that some of the 35 years may shift and change with global changes or category shifts, but I have tried to keep that minimal so as not to bias the growth observations.

I do use moneydance daily, and I am now also syncing, but the significant growth over the last two months has me concerned.

6. 6 Posted by dwg on 15 Apr, 2020 02:02 AM

I'm a fellow user.

The growth is likely to be the transaction files, while technically they are small they consume a lot of space because of how the file system space is allocated.

I expect the transactions themselves to be rolled very frequently into the trunk file, a day or two seems to be what happens with the current release, but the transaction files do remain to facilitate syncing.

What I do not know if there is a maintenance task to cull older transaction files or if there is a method that Moneydance uses to force a full resync, which could be needed if a machine is added to the syncing relationship some time in the more distant future.

7. 7 Posted by derekkent23 on 15 Apr, 2020 08:48 AM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi dantdavis

May be worth on starting Moneydance opening the CONSOLE WINDOW under HELP.

See if there are any errors listed that may be a cause of concern.

I also remember a very small number of cases where uses were updating a large number of security prices and or exchange rates each day. Whilst the data added each day is small over time it builds up. This build up resulted in a slow Moneydance start up, in one case the order of 30 seconds. Support provided a script to thin out old data. Beyond a year data kept was reduced to once a week instead of once a day in an attempt to reduce the data set file size.

8. System closed this discussion on 15 Jul, 2020 08:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac