Search using regular expressions

jimrh

28 Mar, 2020 06:21 PM

Greetings!

One thing that would be absolutely KILLER for Moneydance would be the ability to search, (and possibly replace?), using a simplified regular expression engine.

A good example is the simplified, (one-line only), regular expression parser in Total Commander, created by Andrey V. Sorokin, which can be found at https://regex.sorokin.engineer. (Supposedly written in Delphi and/or Pascal)

In my case, I need to search for transactions that are of the type:
(FIP) or (FIS) followed by a space and a long string of numbers. These numbers are never the same because they represent an ATM transaction number - which is unique to that transaction.

If I can isolate these transactions, I can send them to my bank and they will send back extended description information that doesn't make it into the QFX file the bank sends.

1. 1 Posted by mhoggie on 28 Mar, 2020 06:35 PM

just a user,
    give the Find and Replace extension a try. You can use the Free Text field to search for about anything

2. 2 Posted by jimrh on 29 Mar, 2020 08:47 AM

I already have that extension, and that was the first thing I looked at. Unfortunately, it does not support regular expressions.

The free-text field is good for matches on strings or substrings, but not on classes of objects, which is where regular expressions excel - such as "a string of two or more digits followed by a dash"

3. System closed this discussion on 28 Jun, 2020 08:50 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac