Deleting an investment account completely

marydotstodola

29 Mar, 2020 01:13 AM

I am trying to EXPORT all of my whole MoneyDance transactions as a .qif file. I have to actually add (.qif) to the name of the file before I save it (without the parenthesis) in order for it to be an actual .qif file (otherwise it just gets downloaded as a .file which will NOT import into any other program). That might be something that needs to be fixed.

After I figured that out, I tried to import the .qif file into another program & it says this file contains investments, so it will not transfer over (I purchased Quicken Starter that does NOT track investments). So I went back into MoneyDance, DELETED the investment account, did a new EXPORT. Tried to IMPORT & it says the same thing. How can I make sure ALL the investment info is gone?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 29 Mar, 2020 04:44 PM

I'm not familiar with the technical details of Quicken Starter's import functions, so you may have to contact that company for more details. If you deleted the investment accounts, it would seem like that should do it. I wonder if things like security history is also interpreted by that program as part of investment data? This wouldn't necessarily be deleted from Moneydance just by deleting the investment account itself, so you could try deleting that as well. Honestly though, I'm just speculating. I'd be happy to offer more suggestions if you can get more details about what that other program considers to be 'investments' beyond the investment accounts themselves.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by marydotstodola on 30 Mar, 2020 12:28 AM

Thank you, Ethan! for your response:) I have found out today through Quicken that the Starter version does not support loans too (as in Mortgage).

It gave me an error saying, "Unable to complete .qif Import. This file contains Investing Information, but Investing features are not currently activated in your copy of Quicken. For information on how to upgrade..." the 1st time when I tried to transfer with the Investments.

When I deleted the investments, it gave me the same error message. I'm thinking it may be more of a generic message since I had loans in the MoneyDance file too. (which I didn't delete)

I'm also thinking like what you said above (that deleting the investment account may not have deleted everything-or that the program Quicken may be interpreting some of the data still there).

I've also read on Quicken's Q&A that their transferring .qif files can be pretty glitchy.

Either way, I'm going to need the next step up, program (Quicken Deluxe-instead of Quicken Starter) since I need to track loans. So I ordered that one & the transfer went sorta smoothly-lol. At least I didn't get that error message again.

But THANKS for your response! I appreciate your time!:)

3. 3 Posted by marydotstodola on 30 Mar, 2020 12:29 AM

You can say this was answered, too. (do I just "close" the discussion?)

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 30 Mar, 2020 12:51 AM

I'm glad to hear things seem to have been sorted out. Although I'm sorry to hear that part of that solution was having to purchase another program! I'll mark this thread as closed.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. Ethan closed this discussion on 30 Mar, 2020 12:51 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac