Automatic backup takes a long time

Michael Johnstone

07 Apr, 2020 08:38 PM

Moneydance 2017.7.1 (16 71), Windows 10 64-bit, AcerAspire V3 laptop, 16 Mb memory, 384 GB disk free.
I have been running Moneydance to support my domestic finances since 1 Jan 2014.
Backup of my Moneydance files occurs whenever Monydance is closed down by way of the Export Backup option, when a file currently 124 Mb is written to a sub-folder in the Documents folder on my C drive. Backup happens rather less than daily as the process lasts 1 minute 45 secs to complete with no other apps competing for resources, which is a drag, particularly if one is having to re-boot for whatever reason.

Is there any way I can speed this backup up? Would hiving off the first4 years of transactions speed the process of backup? If so, how do I set about hiving them off?

Regards

Michael Johnstone

1. 1 Posted by jeff_l on 08 Apr, 2020 11:25 AM

Not Support – Just a User

Your last suggestion, contradictory as it may seem “to hive off first 4 years” will make matters worse, the file size will grow, as the deletions are added to your Data Set.

The answer really is for you to upgrade to the current version of the program 2019.3 see quote from the developers blog below.

“Since 2015 Moneydance has stored every change made to your files. While these changes didn’t take much space, they did result in many small files that could slow down the opening and closing of Moneydance. Moneydance 2019 will automatically compress and consolidate the older history in your data which can reduce file size by a decent amount, but the most significant change is probably the improvement of opening and closing your files.”

2. 2 Posted by Michael Johnsto... on 08 Apr, 2020 01:47 PM

Thank you Jeff_1. Definitely worth a try. Will let you know. Regards MJ

3. 3 Posted by Michael Johnsto... on 11 Apr, 2020 05:05 PM

Dear jeff_1

Your solution was amazing. File size reduced from 124Mb to 30Mb and
    backup time from 1 min 45 secs to less than 10 secs.

I had not upgraded to the latest release because, despite the hype, none
    of the enhancements seemed relevant to me. And I do not remember the
    above performance improvement being mentioned in the change log.

I really am most grateful. Thank you!

Regards

Michael Johnstone

4. 4 Posted by dwg on 11 Apr, 2020 09:28 PM

I'm a fellow user.

If I recall correctly these changes were implemented before the public betas hence why there would be no reference in the change log, but I think there is a the reference in the blog post announcing the new version.

5. System closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2020 09:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac