streamlining file

paul tupay

11 Apr, 2020 02:53 PM

Is there any response benefit to eliminating previous year transactions by creating a "end of year copy". Don't really have a need for budget or comparison use as I'm only concerned with tracking present year transactions and I notice that moneydance does have a rather slow startup time. When I cleared older data in quicken it always performed much better and If I needed to research older transaction I simply use the file for that year. What would be the process if I did want to do this? Would it still retain historical data for investment accounts such as stock and 401K's?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 11 Apr, 2020 03:08 PM

Moneydance doesn't have a process to remove older data, and we generally don't recommend you do this. I suppose one could make a copy of one's data file and then manually delete older data, and then reset the starting balances for one's account. You'll also lose other things you may not be considering, like making reports across years, and the category matching that Moneydance has learned for your transactions via the confirmation process. I strongly advise against doing this for investment accounts, since you'll lose all of your historical data, especially important things like your cost basis, and need to reenter your transactions in exactly the same way for those to appear correct in reports. Since those accounts are usually connected to others via transfers, deleting the transfers in your other accounts will also affect your investment accounts. In short, there are many reasons not to do this, but if you're going to try, make sure it's on a copy of your data file.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by dwg on 11 Apr, 2020 09:36 PM

Another reason for not doing it is that deleting older data actually makes your data file larger, so the process does the opposite of streamlining.

3. System closed this discussion on 11 Jul, 2020 09:40 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac