Moving from MAC to pc

Trina

22 Apr, 2020 03:31 PM

Hi I need to move my moneydance data from MAC to pc. However when I email the file to myself, somehow it ends up as a zip file. When I extract the contents, there are multiple folders and files And I don’t know what file it is I need to then use on the pc. Pls help! My MAC is about to die and I need to do this ASAP!

1. 1 Posted by TonyRI on 22 Apr, 2020 03:40 PM

Hi Trina,

The Moneydance data set is a folder that contains multiple sub folders and files. There are instructions, provided by the IK Support Knowledge Base, that give detailed instructions on moving from an old computer to a new one:

https://infinitekind.tenderapp.com/kb/file-locations-and-changes/mo...

Regards,

Tony (NOT from IK Support)

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ethan on 22 Apr, 2020 04:06 PM

When you extract the zip file, the top-level folder should be something like yourfilename.moneydance, correct? If so, use the open other option from the Moneydance welcome screen or the menu bar (File -> Open -> Open Other) to select your yourfilename.moneydance data set.

If you can't get around the zip issue, it may be easier to use a portable USB drive to move your yourfilename.moneydance data file, if you have one. But that shouldn't be an issue after unzipping the zip file.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

3. 3 Posted by Trina on 23 Apr, 2020 10:18 AM

This is what I see when I unzip the file. I’m not seeing the dataset?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Ethan on 23 Apr, 2020 03:22 PM

Thanks for the screenshots. It looks like something strange must have happened in the zip file creation. Your top level folder for your data set is called Personal Finances.moneydance (1), and then you seem to have another Personal Finances folder within it. I'm not sure how this happened.

Try dragging out that Personal Finances folder (which contains the safe, tmp, and key) to a different location, like your desktop. Then rename that folder to Personal Finances.moneydance . After that, use the open other option from the Moneydance welcome screen or the menu bar (File -> Open -> Open Other) to select that renamed Personal Finances.moneydance data set.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

5. System closed this discussion on 23 Jul, 2020 03:30 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac