Moneydance downloaded duplicate transactions into newly imported Quicken data

Oscar

23 Apr, 2020 10:26 AM

Yesterday I imported many years of banking data in QIF from Quicken 2007 for Mac, and that is the data that am using to try to evaluate Moneydance.

I finally got MD to recognize my bank. Now it has downloaded 257 unconfirmed transactions, apparently two years to the day. These are duplicate transactions that were already in MD _except_ that I had edited the original downloads in Quicken when they were downloaded by that program; mainly I added or modified the Memo field. I cannot lose those changes. I am afraid to do anything for fear that the old transactions will be overwritten.

How do make these newly downloaded transactions disappear?

I expect that the answer I will get is tot use the "Merge Choices" but please note that the "Current Transaction" and "Merge Choices" boxes look identical because ***the "Merge Choices" box does _not_ display the memo field.*** So I don't know if the memo field that I changed before will be overwritten. (Checked--it is not.)

Whatever the answer, will I have to do it 257 times? I see that if I select multiple unconfirmed transactions that the Merge option disappears and I get only "Confirm All" which indicates that they will not be merged but possibly exist as duplicates. Also, Confirm _All_ is ambiguous--does it mean all selected or just "all'?

Is there some way to delete these newly downloaded transactions and re-do it but with fewer items downloaded?

How do I get MD to download, from now on, only new transactions from my bank? Will this happen automatically?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Ethan on 23 Apr, 2020 03:11 PM

Hello,

What method are you using to download transactions from your bank? It sounds like you're using direct connections, but if you're manually downloading and importing a file, please let me know, as well as which file format you are using.

Assuming you are using direct connections, Moneydance just downloads whatever the bank offers. Sometimes this is just a few months, sometimes it's a year; it depends on the bank. With direct connections, each transaction contains a unique transaction ID, which allows the program to know it has seen this transaction before. If the bank sends that transaction again, the program will know to just ignore it. But without this, the program can't be sure it has seen that same transaction before. Since these unique transaction IDs are not included in the QIF format, this information didn't make it over from Quicken. The only way to get it back into Moneydance is through the confirmation process, which it sounds like you are doing. Once you merge these transactions with your existing ones, Moneydance will store this information, and won't reenter those transactions again. This should be a one-time setup.

If you delete the transaction instead of merging them, you'll just be deleting the unique transaction IDs that Moneydance needs for this process, and they'll just be downloaded again and again until they are dealt with in the confirmation process.

Ethan
    Infinite Kind Support

2. 2 Posted by derekkent23 on 23 Apr, 2020 06:18 PM

I am not support staff, just a user.
    Hi Oscar

I have not been in your situation but would offer one bit of advice.
    Before you try anything, do a FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – EXPORT BACKUP.
    This way if the things you try don’t work out you can always to a FILE (MONEYDANCE on Mac) – RESTORE FROM BACKUP to save the day.

Hope this helps

3. 3 Posted by dantdavis on 24 Apr, 2020 02:36 AM

As has been said - the reason you get 2 years of downloads is the QIF import canot tell moneydance these entries have ever been downloaded.

If you delete some entries - delete the IMPORTED ones, not the downloaded ones. Now you mention the memo field. Which suggests you've added memos, so you want the imported items, because they have more info. And that's where merge can come in.

Merge does a superset merge - if the downloaded transaction doesn't have the memo (but does have the transaction download id) or the QIF import has the memo (but obviously not the transaction download id), you should get a merged transaction which has both.

As for telling "which is which" (I know it is too late) - I cleared all the QIF transactions, so it was easy to tell the difference, but merge should handle it for you. As to "accept all", no MD doesn't have that, but it ends up being clicking merge 257 times - once, and you are done. It goes quickly.

4. 4 Posted by Jerry on 25 Apr, 2020 01:32 AM

Thanks for that explanation, Ethan. You too, dantdavis , and derekkent23. it is very clear.

I just wish Moneydance would provide a filter on what it downloads or provides a way to filter after the download, of course remembering the transaction ID for the future.

I guess hitting Confirm hundreds of times is OK but my preference is to manually inspect each merge before actually merging. That won’t be practical, however, with so many. Fingers crossed.

And guess what—today I looked at the Unconfirmed Transactions list and it is no longer 257 but 569! No idea why it changed.

Oscar

5. System closed this discussion on 25 Jul, 2020 01:40 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac